Laptop troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackjays24

Beta member
Ok, I would like to introduce myself. My name is James, and I have come here today with the helps of getting advice from some of the knowledgeable experts on this board.

Here is my situation.

I have an MSI A6200 laptop, running Windows 7, i3, 4 GB DDR3 and a integrated video card.

I recently purchased the latest version of McAfree, as my previous version had expired. I somewhat immaturely waited to install it; therefore while without virus protection, I downloaded a file from an unsecured server. I should have known better than to do this.

It turns out that this file contained a Trojan. At the time, I thought nothing of it. I continued on using my laptop and it worked fine. The internet, system and programs were all running smoothly. So a little while latter I shut down my laptop and left it for a few hours. When I went to turn it back on, my regular boot screen came up "MSI Press F11 F3 etc... which is normal, and then when it should go to the "Starting up Windows 7" it just goes to a black screen. Now the monitor is STILL turned on because the screen is illuminated, just black. And sometimes there is a little typing cursor in the top left corner.

So logically I figured something was wrong with the hard drive. So I then popped in my MSI system restore disc and did a complete restore of the hard drive and to the system partition to restore everything back to factory settings. Still, I had no success and when I went to reset the laptop I was again greeted with the black illuminated screen.

Now I called my warranty provider and they told me to bring in the laptop and they will run a diagnoses on it. So I am just wondering if any of you may know what I am experiencing, how to fix it, or if my laptop is just completely screwed in general.

Thank you for any, and all help.

P.S. I apologize in advance if this was not the correct location to post this thread. I looked around the forum and this seemed most appropriate.

Do you have a way to test the hard drive in the laptop? It sounds like your hard drive could be faulty.

If you don't then I would try downloading then burning a live CD of Linux. If you can successfully boot from that then its almost certainly a hard drive issue.

It sounds more like a virus is eating up your hard drive. You should try reformatting that, a full reformat, not quick.

I did a complete format to the factory setting of the hard drive. It whipped every partition clean. And I was able to boot another operating system off a CD successfully. It has a seagate hard drive and I downloaded software from their website and ran tests on the hard drive, all of which came back successful.

I did a complete format to the factory setting of the hard drive. It whipped every partition clean. And I was able to boot another operating system off a CD successfully. It has a seagate hard drive and I downloaded software from their website and ran tests on the hard drive, all of which came back successful.

If you were able to boot off a CD then chances are its a hard drive issue. If you've backed up your files I would recommend giving GParted a shot. Mak213 has a great guide on using GParted over in the Tutorials Forum. Here's the link: http://www.techist.com/forums/f127/gparted-usage-tutorial-224994/

If that doesn't work you could try doing a zero-fill which will completely remove everything from the hard drive, if that doesn't work I'd recommend sending it to MSI to get fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom