laptop trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

probizzle

Beta member
ok i just got a laptop from one of my friends saying its broken. so i took it off there hands thinking i can fix it. so i turn it on and nothing comes up on the screen so i tried hooking it up to another monitor and still got nothing on the screen. when i push the power button the power light comes on and thats about it. and if i leave it on for about 2 min the fan will come on. so i took the off the back panel and turned it on and noticed i hear no sounds or anything i left it on for about 30 min thinking the hd would get warm but it was still cold. so im thinking its not booting up. because the computer makes no noise when i turn it on. any clues or tips would help.

the laptop is a gateway model # W350A
its a really new laptop came with vista on it.

Sounds like a dead hard drive. Or a corrupted one. Can you boot it using a LiveCD or something? Do you see the BIOS at all?

no nothing comes up on the screen at all. i dont have another hard drive to swap it with. shouldnt i see something even if the hd is dead usualy on normal computer it loads up then gives a error

Yes. you should see something whether the hard drive is bad or not.
Not true. I've replaced 3 laptop hard drives in the past year that all had this same problem. NOTHING would turn on, no boot screen, no sound, nothing. I replaced the hard drive and they all worked like a charm.

I'm not saying replacing a hard drive is a fix-all solution, but for some reason on some laptops if the hard drive TOTALLY fails and is undetectable the system might not even boot up.

I know it SHOULD post. I'm in agreeance with you Kurrent. I'm just saying i've run into a few laptops that didn't post, and didn't boot (i could hear the HD and the lights came on for a few seconds so i know it was getting power).

Maybe the MB speaker was out, i'm not sure - i'm just saying that it may show nothing (no post screen and no boot up) and still be a hard drive issue.

alright well i think my dad might have a laptop ill try to steal his hd for a bit and swap it out. but yea i dont hear the hd or anything i dont even get a hd indicator light on the laptop only power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom