Laptop Sleep Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

samdearden

Beta member
Hey-
I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 with Windows 7. I've been having this problem for a while, but when I shut the computer, or it goes into sleep mode, the computer enters this semi-sleep/off mode where I can't reawaken the computer properly. The screen won't turn on but I can sometimes hear a noise indicating that i've pressed a key (so the computer is not really off). I've tried changing what the computer does when I close the lid, but it's inconvenient to have the computer on all the time. Does anybody know what's going on?

Hi,

Have you made sure that all the latest updates have been installed through Windows Update? Also, what happens when you manually set your computer to sleep via the start menu? Does the system wake up properly afterwards? Further, is hybrid sleep enabled (i.e. sleep with hibernation), and if so, have you tried disabling it to see if the system sleep and resumes properly?

I've had a similar problem, but with Windows Vista on a HP NX7300 Business Notebook I previously owned. After waking the computer from sleep, the display would occasionally fail to turn on, but the system would resume successfully. Sometimes, closing and re-opening the lid (or tapping the switch which senses when the lid is closed) re-enabled the display, but failing this, I would have to reboot the laptop. I never did manage to find a solution to the problem, but you might have better luck!

Try hibernation. It puts less stress on your ram. Startup time is faster than starting from shut down. Saves battery life too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom