Laptop shuts off instantly when the charger is plugged in...help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

braz

Daemon Poster
My girlfriend has an HP Pavilion dv4-122nr, she got it about a year ago. It has been getting messages about replacing the battery, but I never really thought it was that big of a deal. Now for some reason, as soon as she plugs in the power cord, it shuts off instantly and will NOT turn back on if it is plugged in. It also will not turn on if the battery is out but plugged in... any ideas guys? is it the battery, the charger, or the plug on the laptop? thanks for the help TF!

I think you need a new charger. check it out when you plug it in, does the battery move around somewhat?

Edit - Because I used to have a charger that popped out when you plugged the charger in, taped it up and it worked fine.. lol

Probably charger or battery, but you should wait for someone else who comes around who might know a little more than me before you spend your money.

If you have a multimeter, probe the + and - on the power adapter, compare the read out to what the adapter is listed for, also, make sure it isn't putting out the wrong voltage, AC, I have seen some adapters put out AC or the wrong voltage and laptops will shut down like a PC does when it is given bad power.

If that fails, probe the contacts on the jack inside the laptop with battery removed, make sure you set the multimeter to continuity, if you get a tone, you have an internal short either on the motherboard, or the jack is busted.

But, I am somewhat willing to bet the adapter is bust along with the batt, if the adapter starts putting out AC, sometimes that isn't enough to screw with a laptop if its a minute amount, but just enough to cause damage to the battery, or even the charging circuit of the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom