Laptop shut off last night after... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 10-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Laptop shut off last night after...

Last night my laptop shut off after I unplugged my usb printer. Now it wont turn back on..Now I was stupid and just unpluged it rather than doing the saftely remove device, however it doesnt work still. I've removed the battery and tried turnning it on but nothing anyone know what could have happened. Because I"m about to buy a new computer here.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
I know <html>, do you?
Send a message via AIM to SYL\X/3K Send a message via Yahoo to SYL\X/3K
Default Re: Laptop shut off last night after...

First check if the power supply running to the Lappy is working properly, and second check if the battery has any life in it

BTW removing safely thing only works on storage devices not usb printers, prove me wrong thats what i know

my guess is that it might of shorted out the motherboard, which is a bad thing

P3 Setup- Intel 1.0ghz , 512Mb SDRAM , ATI 9200 128MB, 2x 40GB HD, Asus CUSL-LV

.....:::::POST Troubleshooting Steps.___.My Rig.___.Memory Test:::::.....
Old 10-12-2007, 03:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to Kubel
Default Re: Laptop shut off last night after...

It's possible that your AC adapter failed and your system was running on battery until it finally ran out and shut down. It's also possible that your AC jack has become disconnected from your motherboard (that would require a simple solder job to fix).

A few things to test:

Try unplugging the battery and plugging in the AC. Does plugging in to AC light up any of the LEDs? If not, it probably means the AC adapter is dead (either that or you have major problems like a dead motherboard or broken connector).

Does jiggling around the AC plug (where it connects to the laptop) make it light up? If so, you may have a lose jack requiring a solder job.

You should check your AC adapter first, since this would be the least expensive and simplest to test. Even if you had a short that fried something on your motherboard, your laptop should respond with blinking LEDs or beep codes unless it's a power related failure (preventing beep or LED codes or power on attempts).
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth
~Romans 1:16
Closed Thread