Laptop running a little hot... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 12-25-2007, 11:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Laptop running a little hot...

Just curious what is the idle core temp usually for centrino duo's i just got a vaio 2ghz duo i think the t7300 or something like that but when i ran core temp its tellin me that its idlin at 58 C... my desktop idles at 23C....should i be worried? then again core temp could be in error. What do you all think?

Old 12-25-2007, 03:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
There and Back again
Default Re: Laptop running a little hot...

That is a normal temp... The space in a lappy is not what it is in a desktop, so there will be a rise in temps, no matter how good they say the cooling is, but the CPU will handle it no problem.

Dell 4K S2817Q / Logitech Z-680 / Func MS3 Mouse / Corsair K70
NZXT Source 530 / i7-3770K / Corsair H100 / ASRock Z77 Extreme4 / SoundBlaster Recon3d
Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD/Seagate 1TB/2TB/WD 2TB
4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 / PNY GTX 980 ti/ Seasonic M12II 850W
Old 12-30-2007, 10:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Thanks this raises another question though, is core temp accurate? atm its saying that my proc is running at 1.1ghz when the factory specs are 2.0 ghz (its a core 2 duo with 2 gig ram 200hd 8400gt 512mb HD screen and Blu ray.) On the other hand speed fan gives totally different temp readings (lower), while the readings dont change on a momemt by moment basis. Which is acurate? or is either one... normally i swear by core temp but now i'm not so sure.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to Kubel

Mobile processors often throttle down (both clock speed and voltage) to save battery power, reduce heat, and lower the noise from the fan. You can usually tell whether a temperature is accurate by how outrageous it seems. For instance, on my desktop, I have one core reporting 37C and another core reporting 7C. So the 7C is obviously inaccurate.

My AMD Turion X2 regularly runs anywhere from 45C to 65C depending on outside temperature and system load.
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth
~Romans 1:16
Old 12-31-2007, 11:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

my Turion x2 is stock 1.6, but when I'm just doing internet stuff with virus software up, it runs at around 600MHz according to CPU-Z. and yeah its just so it really uses the least amount of power possible so it doesn't overheat and shorten the life span of it.

also if you are worried about your temps just go out and buy some canned air and blast the fan, that or take apart the laptop, and clean out the fan and heatsink. just be careful that you don't do anything that would void warrenty's if you have one, and also be careful that you keep all the screws in order.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Closed Thread