Laptop Repair Quote? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Laptop Repair Quote?

Hi everyone,

I occasionally do desktop and laptop repairs on the side to make a few extra bucks. Anyways, I had someone e-mail me about doing some work on laptops he owns. He has 10 Pentium M Dell Laptops that he needs to have some work done on. He sent me a list of everything he'd like to have performed on the laptops...
  1. Format Hard Drive
  2. Install Win Xp with Service Pack 3
  3. Microsoft Office Package
  4. AVG Virus Software (Free Lifetime Updates)
  5. Adobe Acrobat
  6. Laptop Cleaning of the keyboard, screen and other case.
  7. Diagnostics of the entire system after to check hard, cdsrom, floppy,

All of that seems easy enough assuming the laptops are mostly functioning beforehand.

I'd just like some help from some of you that do repairs more often what a fair price would be to do all of that?

Also, some suggestions on a good diagnostic program would be appreciated. I saw some reviews on Advanced System Optimizer, System Mechanic, and WinZip System Utilities Suite. Anybody else use these?

Thanks in advance.

Cooler Master HAF X RC-942 - Intel Core i7 950 - ASUS Sabertooth X58 - G.Skill Ripjaws 6GB RAM - Cooler Master Hyper N520 - ATI HD5870 - XFX P1-650X-CAG9 - Western Digital Black Caviar 1TB HDD - RevoDrive 240GB SSD - Windows 7 64-bit

Cooler Master HAF X RC-942 - Intel Core i7 Sandy Bridge 2600K - ASUS Sabertooth P67 - G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB RAM - Cooler Master V8 - AMD HD6970 (Crossfire) - CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 PSU - Western Digital Black Caviar (1.5TB) & Green Caviar (2TB) HDD - OCZ Agility 2 160GB SSD - Windows 7 64-bit
Old 04-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Laptop Repair Quote?

What do you usually charge? If you normally charge $20, I'd quote him like $150. As you said, its pretty easy.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindoverMaster View Post
What do you usually charge? If you normally charge $20, I'd quote him like $150. As you said, its pretty easy.
Yeah, I was thinking $200 but maybe that is a little bit too steep.

As far as diagnostics software goes, I've never actually used any before. The majority of the time, somebody just tells me what the problem is or I am able to do a little bit of investigating and figure it out.

However, since I do repairs anyways, I should probably get some software regardless. The three I mentioned above all seem to have gotten good reviews but I'd prefer not to have to buy all of them obviously.
Cooler Master HAF X RC-942 - Intel Core i7 950 - ASUS Sabertooth X58 - G.Skill Ripjaws 6GB RAM - Cooler Master Hyper N520 - ATI HD5870 - XFX P1-650X-CAG9 - Western Digital Black Caviar 1TB HDD - RevoDrive 240GB SSD - Windows 7 64-bit

Cooler Master HAF X RC-942 - Intel Core i7 Sandy Bridge 2600K - ASUS Sabertooth P67 - G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB RAM - Cooler Master V8 - AMD HD6970 (Crossfire) - CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 PSU - Western Digital Black Caviar (1.5TB) & Green Caviar (2TB) HDD - OCZ Agility 2 160GB SSD - Windows 7 64-bit
Old 04-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandre88 View Post
Hi everyone,

I occasionally do desktop and laptop repairs on the side to make a few extra bucks. Anyways, I had someone e-mail me about doing some work on laptops he owns. He has 10 Pentium M Dell Laptops that he needs to have some work done on. He sent me a list of everything he'd like to have performed on the laptops...
  1. Format Hard Drive
  2. Install Win Xp with Service Pack 3
  3. Microsoft Office Package
  4. AVG Virus Software (Free Lifetime Updates)
  5. Adobe Acrobat
  6. Laptop Cleaning of the keyboard, screen and other case.
  7. Diagnostics of the entire system after to check hard, cdsrom, floppy,

All of that seems easy enough assuming the laptops are mostly functioning beforehand.

I'd just like some help from some of you that do repairs more often what a fair price would be to do all of that?

Also, some suggestions on a good diagnostic program would be appreciated. I saw some reviews on Advanced System Optimizer, System Mechanic, and WinZip System Utilities Suite. Anybody else use these?

Thanks in advance.
Hate to burst your bubble, but this sounds like a scam. I have received a ton of e-mails before asking the same exact tasks, on the same exact machine types and quanity. Usually after I quote them a price they will tell you that they will send you a check or something from nigera lol.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I would quote him $100 to complete all these tasks.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

1: All payments up front - MUST clear bank if it's a check, or don't accept anything except for hard cash.
2: What he is wanting done is ~$150 per machine at a lot of shops in my region if the customer provides the install media/keys for the office suite they are asking to be installed.
3: Hirens has a lot of great software for system diagnostics.
4: Make sure this customer is local to you and not Mr. Habib from Nigeria.

Closed Thread