Is this laptop really worth $850

Status
Not open for further replies.

s0ulra

Solid State Member
Alright, so I went to dell.com and decided to customize my own laptop. Here are the specs for it that came up to be $849 before tax:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T6600 (2.2GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit
15.6” High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife™ and Camera
4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz
Speed: 250GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) with Free Fall Sensor
256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570
8X Slot Load Super Multi (DL DVD+/-R Drive + RAM support)
Intel® WiFi Link 5100 802.11agn Half Mini-Card
56 Whr Lithium Ion Battery (6 cell)
High Definition Audio 2.0
Classic Protection: 1yr Ltd Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year
Intel® Centrino® Processor
Dell Remote Access, free basic service

Also, I could have picked the 2.1 GHz processor and gotten it down to $799. Is that .1 extra GHz really worth the $50 upgrade?

P.S. I will be doing some minor gaming on this computer, but nothing too bad ;) Other than that, I will probably be using word processor programs and some programs like inventor

So, what does everyone think?

Hm..sounds like something to look into. However, any comments on this current system that I set up? (I have looked at other Asus/MSI laptops, but I couldn't find one with better specs than this for a 600~800 price range. Any links I could follow?)

Not really, take a look at MSI or ASUS indeed.

Any links that I could follow that would send me to better deals with MSI or Asus?
Also, what in particular is bad about this laptop. With 2.1 GHz instead of 2.2 GHz, it's worth $799? Idk, I'm new at this lol

Thank you rican =). That MSI is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I'll talk it over with my parents and see if they like it and are willing to buy it from that site. (I know that it is very secure and all my friends recommend it, so that shouldn't be too hard).

Also, if I end up going with the dell, should I just stick with the 2.1 GHz and get the laptop for $799. (Yay for free 3-5 day shipping lol!)
Oh ya, and the Dell comes with 15 month free McAfee (I've had bad experiences with Norton). What exactly is that worth o_O? Sorry for the noob questions, but I'm trying to learn and I have tried to do some research on my own.

Thank you rican =). That MSI is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I'll talk it over with my parents and see if they like it and are willing to buy it from that site. (I know that it is very secure and all my friends recommend it, so that shouldn't be too hard).

Also, if I end up going with the dell, should I just stick with the 2.1 GHz and get the laptop for $799. (Yay for free 3-5 day shipping lol!)
Oh ya, and the Dell comes with 15 month free McAfee (I've had bad experiences with Norton). What exactly is that worth o_O? Sorry for the noob questions, but I'm trying to learn and I have tried to do some research on my own.

It's worth nothing at all. Download AVG Free for some real protection.

Alright that sounds cool. I've had AVG free before and it does work quite well. Anyways, how long will this dell laptop really last me, if I keep it in good condition? I know the lithium batteries only apparently last 2 years before degrading, but I'm thinking that the laptop will last for at least 4 years?

Depending on how heavily you use it and do taxing things with it, I see no reason why it won't last 4 years, but between 2 and 3 is generally when you upgrade mid end notebooks.

Cool Peter thanks. Ok, so my next question is the whole pc clean out that geek squad does on your computer once you buy it. How can I do that by myself at home, since that deal honestly sounds like a rip off...?

Also, for the msi that rican showed me, how can I contact that company for the warranty, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom