Laptop PSU Problem spiking CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

billythefish

Beta member
Hi all, first time poster.

I have a HP Compaq laptop but I don't think that'll be important.

Over a period of time recently my laptop wouldnt be charging and I had to pull the charging cable underneath the laptop and trap it at odd angles for it to actually make a connection. This stress eventually caused the connection at the DC jack-plug to split and eventually stopped making a connection completely.

Last night I stripped back all the plastic moulding around the jack plug to see if I could solder the connections back on. I seemed to manage this and did get the laptop charging again but not without problems. When the charger is plugged in the power light on the front of the laptop is constantly on, there doesnt seem to be any controlled charging. When I power the laptop up with the charger in, booting up takes 5 times longer than normal and once booted up, everything runs horribly slow. If I bring up CPU usage you can see spikes hitting the processor every second sending usage up to 70%.

The jack connector on the charger seems simple enough. There are only the live and neutral wires. There are 2 outer solder pads and a central pin. There is also a VERY thinly stranded wire with no outer sheath. My problem is... how should the 3 be configured? The stranded thin wire had come away and wasnt connected, and I'm not sure whether it should be. The live and neutral are still soldered to their original pads but.... the only way I can actually get any power from the charger to the laptop is by wrapping the live cable around the centre pin. So, the live is connected to one of the pads on the side of the connector AND the centre pin to get power. But as I say, even thought it does power the laptop it also screws things up.

Can anyone tell me how the pins on the jack plug should be soldered... should the stranded cable be connected to anything. If I take the live cable OFF the centre pin I get no power... connecting the stranded wire to anything makes no difference. What is confusing me is that live and neutral were already still soldered so I havent changed anything, all I found is that when I stripped all the moulding off the plug there was a solder point on the centre pin but no wire connected. I don't know if this has made any sense to anyone, but if anyone has a wiring diagram of the jack-plug or knows what should be soldered.... 3 wires, 3 pins, 2 of which were already connected... and when I wrap the bared live around the centre pin I get power but spiked.

PLEASE HELP as I am sooo frustrated. My eternal gratitude for anyone who can point me in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom