Laptop problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howlz

Baseband Member
Anyways, my parents laptop has been broken for about a week, maybe two now. At first I believed it to be an HDD problem (Which I'm sure was part of a couple problems) So I got a new HDD from gateway, put it in and the bios picked it up right away. Now here is the second part of my problem, the computer refuses to load from the hard drive. I have tried re-arranging the boot options in the bios menus, I have tried telling it to boot from the HDD, but to no avail. Instead it will take me to a screen that says something like "Broadcom UNBI" And something about Intel below it. And then there is this

PXE-E61: Media test failure

and
PXE-M0F: exiting broadcom pxe rom

HD came from directly from Gateway and according to them, Windows is pre-installed along with any other things we would need for the laptop.

Re-install Windows and that might cure the problem, It may say preloaded but I don't know how they think it would work because everything needs to be configured during the install of a OS to make the current laptop hardware to make it work correctly.

Well my main problem to begin with was that, I didn't have a working recovery DVD, so they sent a hard drive, and I can't do much to install windows since, well I don't have a copy to install with. Guessing I should just send it back to gateway ><

Gateway tech support will usually send you a restore disc for your laptop, sometimes for free or sometimes for $~10. I'd try getting one of those before sending your stuff back again. I can't believe they don't test that stuff before sending it back out.
One other thing I would suggest is pulling your wireless card. The error you posted would indicate that there was some problem with it (broadcom is a large manufacturer of mini-pci wifi cards). Pull it and try booting up again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom