Laptop powers on for 2 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.

james.wired

Equator Gringo
Well we got into the office today and my father's HP Pavilion TX1000 will not completely start up. Pressing the power button gives it 2 seconds of life before the fan even turns and then it shuts down. I have done a power drain which was recommended by somebody, that didn't help. The only thing I can think of is the motherboard died. My father uses the laptop with an external 27¨ flat screen monitor, so the laptop's monitor is never on, the laptop sits on his desk as if it was a desktop PC and he never takes it anywhere. I gave the insides a peak and it didn't look to dirty in there. I googled for awhile and I just came across other people with the same problems and no one has any fixes, except for that power drain bs. Anyone?:confused:

Edit: I have also tried taking the battery off and keeping the power connected but it still has the same issue. HP's tech support just says that with these symptoms, ¨the laptop needs to be repaired¨ ... wow ..

Kinda sounds like a power issue, but the turning on and fans spinning for a second kinda has me baffled. Usually if it is a power issue the lights will flicker for two seconds and it won't turn on - no turn on for two seconds and turn off...

See if you can use a different power adapter to see if that works. I realize you probably don't want to spend 80 bucks on a new adapter just to SEE if this is the problem, so go to a local computer store and see if they have one that they can test for you.

Well, I put my ear down on the keyboard (should have done that to begin with), pressed the power button and it gives no power whatsoever..lights for 2 seconds and then back off.

Then it isn't getting power and the battery is drained. Which means either your adapter needs replacing OR the power connector on the motherboard needs soldering.

Sounds like the motherboard has failed.

This is rather normal of most HP Pavilion's last death rattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom