Laptop power help

fritz269

Beta member
Hi,
I have a Sony VPCF136FX. The battery stated it was 100% but would not run the computer. I bought a new battery and it worked with the battery power it had but would not charge. The strange thing is if the battery and AC adapter or plugged in, it thinks its on battery but wont charge. If I take the battery out, it recognizes that its on AC. I have tried deleting the Battery in the Device Manager. Is this a hardware issue and can it be repaired?

The battery is most likely bad and just needs replaced. Check Amazon or eBay for a replacement (an OEM replacement is best, try to avoid the cheaper Chinese batteries).

Edit: I re-read your post and see you said you replaced the battery already... have you checked the voltage output from your AC adapter with a multimeter to see if it's putting out the right amount?

Is it possible you also got a bad replacement battery? have you checked to make sure the battery is fully making contact with the battery terminals? Does the laptop run fine without the battery in it, and only on AC power?

Sorry, I re-read your post and edited my previous post with some more things to try before jumping on another battery.

computer runs fine without battery. Battery had half a charge left and was working fine when I got it. I have not checked the voltage yet but I did order a new replacement AC adapter just in case. I was wondering if there is something that might have overheated or came lose inside the laptop that might cause the issue? I am so baffled.

Last edited:
I had a client's laptop do some thing like that. Turned out to be the power jack on the mother board had just simply worn out. Some times the switching pin in the jack stayed open when the plug was pulled out. That required the case to be opened up and a new jack soldered to the board. Ran fine for years after that.

I had a client's laptop do some thing like that. Turned out to be the power jack on the mother board had just simply worn out. Some times the switching pin in the jack stayed open when the plug was pulled out. That required the case to be opened up and a new jack soldered to the board. Ran fine for years after that.

Was thinking it could be a bad jack, but then you'd think the laptop wouldn't run at all while the battery was out and only on AC power.

@OP: is the jack loose at all? Can you wiggle the plug around?

Back
Top Bottom