Laptop Power adapter doesn't work when laptop is on. But it charges the battery when laptop is off - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Laptop Power adapter doesn't work when laptop is on. But it charges the battery when laptop is off

Hello friends. I have a HP laptop (G62). its almost a year and half old. Everything was fine but I am having problem with power adapter for few hours.

When the laptop is off, the adapter works fine and it charges the battery. But when I turn it on, its fine for first 5-10 mints and then power adapter stops working and the laptop runs on battery. Obviously, the battery doesn't run forever. So after a while, I have to turn it off to charge the battery.

Anybody had this issue before or any suggestion?

Thanks a lot.

TheSkyIsTheLimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Laptop Power adapter doesn't work when laptop is on. But it charges the battery when laptop is off

Could be a bad power adapter. It may charge, but it doesn't have enough power to keep the system running, so it switches to your battery. I'd look at getting a new power adapter.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Ghost

Default Re: Laptop Power adapter doesn't work when laptop is on. But it charges the battery when laptop is off

I think that as well maybe it has to do with the voltage setting. Is the power adapter a universal one or is it from the manufacturer? If it's from the maker than I am not sure but if it's universal I suggest upping the voltage. Because if you can't run the PC with the adapter plugged in then it may be because the adapter isn't letting enough power in and the computer doesn't like it so it spits the dummy and switches to battery.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Voltage regulator perhaps, I would see if you can get a replacement.
M0rpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I had this same problem with my HP laptop. I think this is not the problem with adapter but with battery, after I changed the battery it's working fine.
deepu.djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Sometimes it happens with the battery problems. I caught with the same and replaced my batter and now everything is going well. May be in your case it may be the adapter fault or test for your battery once
jessicalennita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

very first thing id try like they said is the ac plug, if a new one still doesnt charge it while its on, i would assume prolly its not the battery unless it doesnt hold a charge... you could just need to drain your laptop one good time ive seen weird things- where you need to take the battery out and hold the power on button for 5 seconds, then everything works fine for real. if that dont work its in the laptop itself.
sudden0utburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Private Joker

Old topic is old.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote