Laptop Overheating Solution! (P-7811FX Gateway)

Status
Not open for further replies.

akasixcon

This is sparta!
Specs:
- Gateway 17" Laptop 1920x1200
- Nvidia 9800M GTS (latest laptopvideo2go.com driver)
- 4GB DDR3 RAM
- 2.26 Core 2 Duo

Problem:
It was first noticeable after about half a year of usage. I was playing DotA (Warcraft III) and my computer suddenly would heat up to 100 Celsius. Normally I would run the game at 60 FPS but after that increase in temperature the game got downgraded to a sloppy 15 FPS. I realized it was a heating issue so I spent $70 for a NXZT Cryo LX notebook cooler. This RESOLVED my problem completely! Or so I thought...

Starcraft II Beta came out and I was one of the lucky people who got into the BETA. I am ASTONISHED by its graphics! I was able to pull off ULTRA Settings with my powerful 9800M GTS. Well to be honest, temporary pull off an ULTRA settings for the next 15-20 minutes. Even with my $70 NXZT Cryo LX, it was not strong enough to cool my computer down to less than 100 Celsuis. Solution was to put the game at Medium Settings. There is a LOW, MEDIUM, HIGH and ULTRA settings in SC2; going to Medium from ULTRA is like going from 2010 to 2007, going from Crysis-caliber to Halo-caliber; yes that much of a leap of graphics

So right now I am looking at either getting a new computer or trying this Thermal Paste. A new computer will cost me $500 easily. On top of that, it will require me to get a 9800-GTS quality Graphics Card (which should be under $70), a monitor for $400+ (to take advantage of this video card) so I am throwing about 1k right now just to play Starcraft 2. I will not be playing SC2 in medium settings and then 2 years down the road get a new computer just to play at ULTRA settings.

Need your opinion people!

Cliffnotes (Summary if you don't wanna read the above)

- want to play Starcraft 2 in ULTRA settings
- current laptop / graphics card is able to handle ULTRA
- problem is that the laptop overheats to 100C which reduces the FPS to 10 (from 100)
- looking to try thermal paste (how effective is it?)
- planning on getting a computer if not

The card itself may be able to handle the game, but the rest of your laptop cannot. Therefore it shuts down or drags, due to overheating.

Get yourself a desktop.

90% of laptops are not meant for high gaming, there are a few made for that purpose, but most are for portability. The few that are for gaming weigh a couple more pounds than the standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom