Laptop over heats with video/macromedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShortThrow

Baseband Member
My laptop has a severe heat problem. When i watch videos on youtube, or try and watch a dvd the units GPU temp sky rockets and has even shut itself down in the past to apparently save itself from disaster.

It would be nice to watch DVDs but the real issue is that it gets hot running Rosetta Stone. It doesn't get as hot as a DVD would cause it to, and it doesn't get catastrophically hot, but it gets warm enough to make me nervous and do only study for short periods at a time.

Because of the heat coming on during graphic intensive programs I am assuming it's the GPU and GPU cooling that's ****ed up, most likely the result of extended use literally on my lap , on a comforter when laying in bed. When I use it to study now, I place the back end up on a book or something similar to help combat the heat. Still can't watch a DVD, though.

The laptop is an HP Pavillion dv6000 that was purchased in the fall of 2007. I realize it's getting old in terms of technology but I can't afford anything new and want to make this thing last. FYI, I use speed fan. Normal word processing/internet use run the GPU unit at about 62'-66' celcius, with Rosetta Stone bringing it between 68'-75' and DVDs going overboard at 80'+.

So the question is, is there anything I can do relatively cheaply to help this problem? I have looked into an aftermarket cooling tray but am wondering if a GPU relacement might help and be relatively cheap?

The first thing that comes to mind with this issue is the GPU/Heatsink separation on older Xbox360 models that required the reapplication of something like ArcticSilver.

Ideas? Thanks.

Try watching the DVDs at a lower resolution. Most laptop graphic cards are not made for intense graphic uses. Look up the temps, using HW Monitor, and report back what the temps are while doing these things. Tell us what the temps are on idle as well.

I'm not too concerned with DVD waching, as the only reason I really need the laptop is for Rosetta stone. However, idle is between 60'-64'C, Rosetta Stone sends it around 73'-75C and DVDs 78'C+

Note: All of these numbers are taking place in POWER SAVER MODE with the rear of the laptop approximately 1 inch off of the table!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom