Laptop Not Connecting to Net when other is - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2009, 01:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Laptop Not Connecting to Net when other is

Hi all, first time poster here with a problem driving me buggy

I live in a basement apartment and the internet is provided by my landlord upstairs via her unseccured router. I recently got a new laptop and it was all working fine until last night when suddenly it stopped connecting the the net despite it having a full signal and the unseccured network.

My roommate, who lives in the room right next to, is still up and running and working fine connecting to the same connection.

Even more odd, the laptop was connecting to a DEFAULT connection (whatever that is) for a time (albeit very slowly) but that has now stopped too.

I have been removing stuff from the laptop. Is it possible I mucked up the connection?

Any help would be most appreciated and I will answer any questions to the best of my ability.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Laptop Not Connecting to Net when other is

Usually when a wirless connection is showing the SSID of a network as DEFAULT there is a wireless profile clash. A 3rd party wireless device manager has saved a default wireless profile and you are using another wireless manager such as windows zero configuration.

Or it could be an uncompatable wireless device. For example if you have windows vista and have an XP wireless device.

Try a network repair.
XP : Start > controll panel > network connections > locate the wireless netowrk > right click > repair

If that doesn't work:
Check your wireless adapter is compatable with your operating system ( example windows XP ). Use the 3rd party wireless manager. Or uninstall 3rd party wireless manager and configure your card to work from the windows wireless manager.
Closed Thread