Laptop not coming on

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
I told a friend I would look at his Dell Latitude 600 but I have no clue on how to fix it (told him I didn't but that I would try). When you hit the power button the lights flicker and then turn off and the screen never comes up. So it seems to be a power issue. However the battery on this laptop has a button that will light up lights to tell you if theres power. Once hit the light shows all lights which I assume means its powered, and I've tried using the power adapter. So does anyone know how to fix this problem or at least have a idea on what it could be?

The simplest fix would be failed or misseated memory. Remove the memory cover and then try this:

1) Remove, and then re-seat the memory.
2) Test.
3) Remove, and then re-seat the memory in the other memory slot.
4) Test.
5) Try replacing the RAM or testing the old RAM in another notebook.
6) Test.

Since the battery meter shows a full charge, we can assume for the time being that the battery and AC adapter are not at fault. That leaves not-so-easy-to-fix components like a failed CPU or motherboard. I suppose it's possible that it could be a failed fan (system detects 0RPM and shuts down to prevent overheating), but that's unlikely.

Let's hope that it's something simple like the RAM. :)

Well you know what they say about assumptions. Since I have little laptop experience I assumed the problem was power related and thus over my head and didn't even think about doing your basic not posting troubleshooting.

Seems like it was a memory problem.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom