Laptop memory upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

olejay13467

Beta member
I bought an asus laptop way back and need to upgrade the memory because I'm running vista with only 1gb of ram. I am planning on buying a 2gb stick as my laptop currently only has 1 1gb stick of ram in it. I just don't know anything about the pin or type or compatibility. I just need to know what i need to look for to make sure it'll work with my computer, where do i start?

thnx

Simple, google the laptop system specs, and you will be able to find out all the details you need to. Thats before you crack it open. Be warned, if it is under guarantee then take it back to the shop where you bought it and they will prolly upgrade it for you, if you dont, and something goes wrong you might not be covered by the guarantee, and also your household insurance wont cover it either.

Google is your friend here, but if you can't find out from google download CPU-z an you will find out all the info you need to know.

Well I ordered the laptop over the internet, it is under warranty, but I will still have to manually install the ram. I'll try to google search things and figure this out, but really I just wanted to know what to look for. I know there's some sort of pin number, and then there's type of ram, like DDR2 and stuff, which is what I think mine is, but I'm not sure.

EDIT: I downloaded CPU-Z and found out my current ram is DDR2. It seems like every ram I see online is 200pin, is this normal and something I don't have to worry about?
One other concern of mine is the fact that I like to go cheap, I've found a 2gb stick on Newegg.com (the site I got my computer from) for 46.99, most of them are priced at about this there. Is this too cheap for ram? Will it be slow? Or will it be fine?

Well I ordered the laptop over the internet, it is under warranty, but I will still have to manually install the ram. I'll try to google search things and figure this out, but really I just wanted to know what to look for. I know there's some sort of pin number, and then there's type of ram, like DDR2 and stuff, which is what I think mine is, but I'm not sure.

EDIT: I downloaded CPU-Z and found out my current ram is DDR2. It seems like every ram I see online is 200pin, is this normal and something I don't have to worry about?
One other concern of mine is the fact that I like to go cheap, I've found a 2gb stick on Newegg.com (the site I got my computer from) for 46.99, most of them are priced at about this there. Is this too cheap for ram? Will it be slow? Or will it be fine?

Just email newegg, and ask them if you upgrade the waurrentee does it become void, can and does more often then you think always read the small print. As for price sometimes cheap will do, sometimes more expensive does better, but you get what you pay for.

Just a peace of advice make sure you use a stat strap when you install the memory otherwise you might look at bye bye lappie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom