Laptop memory upgrade - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Laptop memory upgrade

I bought an asus laptop way back and need to upgrade the memory because I'm running vista with only 1gb of ram. I am planning on buying a 2gb stick as my laptop currently only has 1 1gb stick of ram in it. I just don't know anything about the pin or type or compatibility. I just need to know what i need to look for to make sure it'll work with my computer, where do i start?

thnx

Old 02-03-2008, 07:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Laptop memory upgrade

Simple, google the laptop system specs, and you will be able to find out all the details you need to. Thats before you crack it open. Be warned, if it is under guarantee then take it back to the shop where you bought it and they will prolly upgrade it for you, if you dont, and something goes wrong you might not be covered by the guarantee, and also your household insurance wont cover it either.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
There and Back again

what's the model number?

Dell 4K S2817Q / Logitech Z-680 / Func MS3 Mouse / Corsair K70 LUX rgb
NZXT Source 530 / i5-7600K / Corsair H100i v2 / ASRock Z270 Extreme4
SM951 M2 256GB / 850 evo 1TB / Seagate 2TB / WD 2TB
2x16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 / evga Classified GTX 980 ti / Seasonic M12II 850W

Old 02-03-2008, 08:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Google is your friend here, but if you can't find out from google download CPU-z an you will find out all the info you need to know.

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well I ordered the laptop over the internet, it is under warranty, but I will still have to manually install the ram. I'll try to google search things and figure this out, but really I just wanted to know what to look for. I know there's some sort of pin number, and then there's type of ram, like DDR2 and stuff, which is what I think mine is, but I'm not sure.

EDIT: I downloaded CPU-Z and found out my current ram is DDR2. It seems like every ram I see online is 200pin, is this normal and something I don't have to worry about?
One other concern of mine is the fact that I like to go cheap, I've found a 2gb stick on Newegg.com (the site I got my computer from) for 46.99, most of them are priced at about this there. Is this too cheap for ram? Will it be slow? Or will it be fine?
Old 02-04-2008, 11:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olejay13467 View Post
Well I ordered the laptop over the internet, it is under warranty, but I will still have to manually install the ram. I'll try to google search things and figure this out, but really I just wanted to know what to look for. I know there's some sort of pin number, and then there's type of ram, like DDR2 and stuff, which is what I think mine is, but I'm not sure.

EDIT: I downloaded CPU-Z and found out my current ram is DDR2. It seems like every ram I see online is 200pin, is this normal and something I don't have to worry about?
One other concern of mine is the fact that I like to go cheap, I've found a 2gb stick on Newegg.com (the site I got my computer from) for 46.99, most of them are priced at about this there. Is this too cheap for ram? Will it be slow? Or will it be fine?
Just email newegg, and ask them if you upgrade the waurrentee does it become void, can and does more often then you think always read the small print. As for price sometimes cheap will do, sometimes more expensive does better, but you get what you pay for.

Just a peace of advice make sure you use a stat strap when you install the memory otherwise you might look at bye bye lappie

Closed Thread