Laptop with long battery life that isn't outrageously expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brinson

Daemon Poster
I've been looking around for laptops with longer battery life.

Other than the eee 1000h, which has roughly 6 hours, the cheapest laptop I can find over 5 is the Thinkpad X series, which is on "sale" for around $1100 on their site.

Does anyone know of a laptop that is both cheap and has long battery life?

If you don't mind going second hand you can find a Toshiba Portege R100 or R200 for $500-600 on ebay. With the secondary battery you're looking at around 6 hours of battery life.

$1100 for a new ThinkPad laptop that gets 5+ hours of battery life sounds like a terrific deal. The bargain-basement deals don't include such features. Since a battery only runs optimally for about 2-3 years, buying a second-hand laptop almost guarantees some loss of quality and life of the battery.

Well if its refurbed properly the batteries will be new (that was the case with my R100) but you are right, DoubleHelix.

And Thinkpads are expensive but they're very nice, Lenovo has been doing a great job at keeping the higher ends series strong. It's all about what you want to spend.

Keep in mind, Brinson, that for around $100-150 you can always buy a second high capacity battery for just about any new laptop. If the regular battery gets you around 2 hours you'll get 2-3 more from the second battery, you'd just have to swap them when one ran low. But there's another option.

HP's business line of laptops offers as an option, An Ultra High Capacity battery that clips onto the bottom.

Yes it makes it a fair bit heavier but it you just need a lot of battery using it in conjunction with the 6 cell in the laptop can yield roughly 9-14 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom