Laptop lcd screen looks like 8 bit - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 01:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Laptop lcd screen looks like 8 bit

well i currently own a sony vaio vgn-c1z model laptop. i have been usin it for 2 years now.

about a week ago my suddenly my screen became very crappy. it looks like worste than 8 bit. cant almost read any text, colors are wierd and some has like a line in middle of them. it looks very strange.

so anyways how do i fix this screen prob? i have connected my laptop to my lcd tv and my other monitor. but its strange that i dont get the probs there...
how to solve this prob? and how much will it cost? also is it possible that i buy the stuff and do it myself?

Old 01-02-2009, 01:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jayce
Default Re: Laptop lcd screen looks like 8 bit

So your VGA out is perfectly fine, yet your actual connection to your screen seemed to be flunked.

I'd wonder if there's a wire that's getting pinched or something of that nature underneath the display... or maybe if the panel itself is just going bad. Is opening up laptops something you've done before? If not, I'd look up a guide on your exact model laptop before ripping stuff apart... I've made that mistake many times!

Also - just a funny 2 cents to throw in there... it's funny how you mentioned your screen looks 8 bit. Laptops (and majority of LCDs that are less than 700 dollars) use TN panels for their displays, which are 6 bit. IPS panels (which are friggen expensive, but offer a wider color range) are 8 bit. Just figured I'd throw that out there!

Old 01-02-2009, 01:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Triforcer

Your screen is dying. You'll need to either replace the screen which will be about $300 or buy a new laptop.

It isn't possible to replace the screen yourself unless you really know what you're doing.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

wow there dude... $300? hmmm
well they'll be givin us a new laptop in a month or so. i guess i can just use a monitor until i get the new one. but can i learn why my screen died? i mean i never had this kinda prob before...
Old 01-02-2009, 02:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jayce

It's not impossible to replace a screen. But it's nothing I've ever ask my dad to do, who may be a good mechanic but, doesn't really qualify as "computer savy"... to the same respect that I'm sure he wouldn't expect me to know how to swap out a clutch and flywheel on a C3 Vette.

I replace LCDs on laptops here at work all the time. But, I also do it every day and have video guides which help me through it. Some laptops are different than others, obviously. I can replace an LCD to a Lenovo R61 in my sleep, being that we have about 600 of them. But if an LCD cracks on an iBook G4, forget it. Even WITH a guide, that thing is built so crazy that I don't even attempt it anymore.

The call is really up to you. Do you want to risk losing a couple hundred from a learning experience? Or have you tinkered with small and expensive electronics enough to feel comfortable with something like this IF you can find a picture guide?

And yeah, sadly 300 for a new LCD isn't like saying, "Whoa there Baez! What you smokin?" It's definitely pretty accurate. The LCD replacements we get for our Lenovo R61's run about 285 dollars I believe. We've gotten a few Dell LCD replacements in already and I think they ranged from 325 to 365, if memory serves me.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Sony LCD's probably cost even more. Cause they're Sony.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Triforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorsoft03 View Post
Sony LCD's probably cost even more. Cause they're Sony.
Yeah for sure forgot about that. Sony thinks they're better than everyone else. Too bad they're one of the worst... But that's another story. It might be up $500-600 for a Sony screen.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

that sux....
what are the things that can cause my lcd screen to screw up?
Old 01-03-2009, 09:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Patron

General deteriation probably the liquid crystals can shift with shock damage such as dropping. As its pretty dead you could try flexing the screen a little, I have only seen it done and fix the problem when a portion of the screen blurs/ into flux but its worth a shot.

Is it under warranty?
Old 01-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #10 (permalink)

Triforcer

I think he said it wasn't further up. Most laptop warranties don't cover screens anyway.

Closed Thread