Laptop keeps crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

nidreu

Solid State Member
Hi guys,

My laptop is a HP Pavilion dv2000

I'll try to explain my problem, I'll answer any follow up questions to the best of my ability. Recently, within the past few days my computer has started crashing. The blue screen doesn't pop up, instead the image begins to flicker, than the screen turns black. When I try to turn the computer back on, sometimes it reboots with the screen being divided into 6 panels, each showing the same image. Sometimes it reboots normally, only to crash again within a few minutes to hours.

I'm on Vista, and I've tried running my AVG scanner, Malware scanner, running what Windows says to run when recovering from an error. The only other thing I've tried is going into safe mode, right clicking my C drive, and doing error checking.

Thanks for any help

SOunds lik you are having a problem with your video card chipset.

Don't think this will work, but try updating your video card drivers for the notebook.
Otherwise, is the notebook still under warranty? You might need ot get it fixed.

I tried turning it on today, and it wouldnt boot, nothing but a black screen. I can hear it running, and the lights on the pad come up, but nothing outside of that. I'm I out of luck? Should I just bring it into a computer shop or call up HP? I'm no longer under warranty. Any idea how much it would cost to fix something like this?

I tried turning it on today, and it wouldnt boot, nothing but a black screen. I can hear it running, and the lights on the pad come up, but nothing outside of that. I'm I out of luck?

Can you still hear windows booting in the background from your sound card. Eg. Windows Start Up Sound?
If that's the case, then it's the video card.

Also, have out tried connecting an external monitor to this laptop. If that works fine, then might just be a loose connection on the TFT display.

Should I just bring it into a computer shop or call up HP? I'm no longer under warranty. Any idea how much it would cost to fix something like this?

If it's underwarranty, take it to HP. If it's not, take it to a computer shop, but make sure that they actually do laptop repairs, or board level repairs.

As for how much it's going to cost. Not sure. If you where taking it to my shop, board level repairs are about AU$200 - AU$300. If you have to replace a motherboard, then you might be better off buying a new laptop.

Try doing a fresh windows install on it!!

It's a little hard to do that when there is no display.

if its your screen that is having problems it would make sense for it to be a video card problem. Maybe upgrade that and while your at it, upgrade the computer itself. It is always nice to get a fresh upgrade (if affordable. if not just upgrade the video card)

if its your screen that is having problems it would make sense for it to be a video card problem. Maybe upgrade that and while your at it, upgrade the computer itself. It is always nice to get a fresh upgrade (if affordable. if not just upgrade the video card)

Provided that it can be upgraded. If it's an ATi or nVidia, then you should be able to get a seperate card for it. It should be a mater of replacing it like you would normally do with your ram modules. Not sure how much that would be worth for the video card, but it would be cheaper than replacing the motherboard.

Otherwise, if it's an intel or sis graphics, then i would be counting that you will be needing to replace a motherboard, and that can be expensive.

Asylum, is your notebook less that 12 months old? Or is it covered with an extended warranty? If either of those questions are yes, then take the notebook over to HP as this would be covered by warranty.

Change your graphics options:

Go into Graphics properties and find 3D settings
If the memory footprint is on high, sometimes your computer will crash. Change it to normal.
Mine usually comes with blue screen error and dumps all memory.

Hope this helps,

-FrozenSilent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom