Laptop keeps crashing - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 05:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Laptop keeps crashing

Hi guys,

My laptop is a HP Pavilion dv2000

I'll try to explain my problem, I'll answer any follow up questions to the best of my ability. Recently, within the past few days my computer has started crashing. The blue screen doesn't pop up, instead the image begins to flicker, than the screen turns black. When I try to turn the computer back on, sometimes it reboots with the screen being divided into 6 panels, each showing the same image. Sometimes it reboots normally, only to crash again within a few minutes to hours.

I'm on Vista, and I've tried running my AVG scanner, Malware scanner, running what Windows says to run when recovering from an error. The only other thing I've tried is going into safe mode, right clicking my C drive, and doing error checking.

Thanks for any help

Old 05-05-2009, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble

Default Re: Laptop keeps crashing

SOunds lik you are having a problem with your video card chipset.

Don't think this will work, but try updating your video card drivers for the notebook.
Otherwise, is the notebook still under warranty? You might need ot get it fixed.

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!" -- Rob Zombie
Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
Asus N61JV-JX231V - Intel Core i5 3437u (1.9 - 2.4 GHz), 12GB, 640GB, 16" Display, nVidia 325M 1Gb, DVD-RW, Win 10 (64-bit)
Mobile Phone : Samsung Galaxy 5 Note SM-N920IConsole : Play Station 4
Old 05-06-2009, 08:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I tried turning it on today, and it wouldnt boot, nothing but a black screen. I can hear it running, and the lights on the pad come up, but nothing outside of that. I'm I out of luck? Should I just bring it into a computer shop or call up HP? I'm no longer under warranty. Any idea how much it would cost to fix something like this?
Old 05-06-2009, 08:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Try doing a fresh windows install on it!!
Memory: 2x3Gig Kingston Hyper X 2100Mhz
Video Card: XFX GTX285
Harddisk: 2-Seagate Barracuda 250GB in RAID 0
Case: APEVIA X-JUPITER G-Type X
PSU: Corsair 1000 Watt Modular
Old 05-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidreu View Post
I tried turning it on today, and it wouldnt boot, nothing but a black screen. I can hear it running, and the lights on the pad come up, but nothing outside of that. I'm I out of luck?
Can you still hear windows booting in the background from your sound card. Eg. Windows Start Up Sound?
If that's the case, then it's the video card.

Also, have out tried connecting an external monitor to this laptop. If that works fine, then might just be a loose connection on the TFT display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidreu View Post
Should I just bring it into a computer shop or call up HP? I'm no longer under warranty. Any idea how much it would cost to fix something like this?
If it's underwarranty, take it to HP. If it's not, take it to a computer shop, but make sure that they actually do laptop repairs, or board level repairs.

As for how much it's going to cost. Not sure. If you where taking it to my shop, board level repairs are about AU$200 - AU$300. If you have to replace a motherboard, then you might be better off buying a new laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asylum View Post
Try doing a fresh windows install on it!!
It's a little hard to do that when there is no display.

Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
Asus N61JV-JX231V - Intel Core i5 3437u (1.9 - 2.4 GHz), 12GB, 640GB, 16" Display, nVidia 325M 1Gb, DVD-RW, Win 10 (64-bit)
Old 05-06-2009, 08:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

if its your screen that is having problems it would make sense for it to be a video card problem. Maybe upgrade that and while your at it, upgrade the computer itself. It is always nice to get a fresh upgrade (if affordable. if not just upgrade the video card)
Old 05-06-2009, 09:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
if its your screen that is having problems it would make sense for it to be a video card problem. Maybe upgrade that and while your at it, upgrade the computer itself. It is always nice to get a fresh upgrade (if affordable. if not just upgrade the video card)
Provided that it can be upgraded. If it's an ATi or nVidia, then you should be able to get a seperate card for it. It should be a mater of replacing it like you would normally do with your ram modules. Not sure how much that would be worth for the video card, but it would be cheaper than replacing the motherboard.

Otherwise, if it's an intel or sis graphics, then i would be counting that you will be needing to replace a motherboard, and that can be expensive.

Asylum, is your notebook less that 12 months old? Or is it covered with an extended warranty? If either of those questions are yes, then take the notebook over to HP as this would be covered by warranty.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via MSN to FrozenSilent

Change your graphics options:

Go into Graphics properties and find 3D settings
If the memory footprint is on high, sometimes your computer will crash. Change it to normal.
Mine usually comes with blue screen error and dumps all memory.

Hope this helps,

-FrozenSilent

Closed Thread