Laptop - Instant turn offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

OTOnly

Baseband Member
Hi Guys,
Last ditch attempt to salvage this laptop before i replace.

Specs:
HP Pavillion Dv5 - 1139TX
4gb ram, 1gb Nvidia 9600M GT
Windows 7 installed
Running for 18months

Problem:
With the battery and A/C power in and whilst playing a game last week the laptop instantly powered off, no hibernate or restart. I powered it on and it turned off while loading windows.

I waited for 5 mins then turned it on again and it worked fine for hours. Battery is at 70 or so percent when windows load.
I went to play the game again it turned off after 20 minutes. This has been the case for the past week. It runs fine without games but as soon as i play something it will turn off. GPU temperature is no more than 90degrees C and game (WoW) is not that graphics intense (potentiall power intense?).

This turning off occurs even when the battery isn't in the Laptop and when the battery is but not the A/C. There were also issues with "Plugged in, but not charging". They seemed to be fixed as i reinstalled Windows 7 yesterday.

Anything else to try before replacing the whole thing? Could the A/C and battery both be bad? Is there anything in BIOS i can refresh/reimage?

Thanks

Well, your battery can't hold a full charge.

Did you try taking out the battery, and run only on A/C?
Make sure your CPU temps are OK, too.
Do you have the latest drivers and WoW patches?
Try running memtest and malwarebytes.

Knowing HP consumer series' "wonderful" build quality, your Nvidia 9600M GT is starting to go. DV5, as well as most of HP's dv series, have horrible heat dissipation causing quick GPU detioration when running GPU-intensive apps. Older dv series lifespan with everyday use was pretty much 14 months (2 months after warranty expires).

So grab your warranty if it's still good and get a replacement. Otherwise, sell it or start looking for places to repair.

it ended up not even turning on regardless of A/C or battery etc.

just bought another for around US500.

appreciate the effort guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom