Laptop Headphone Port Repair - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2015, 05:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Laptop Headphone Port Repair

Hey guys, i'm very new here so if I break any rules or have put this thread in the wrong sub forum please be easy on me. I just have a question for some of you genius's out there, my headphone port for my laptop has taken a few "walks away from laptop with headphones plugged in's" and it is completely smashed up inside. I used to have to just place the headphone jack in the right place to get the sound but now only my speakers (which use's the USB aswell which I think makes it work). That was fine for the last couple months but now im moving into a very close suburban area with neighbours very close to me and that will be an issue, also who wants to play everything through there speakers?

I know that the line of USB, Headphones, MIC and other cool stuff is connected to the Motherboard in the laptop and I was wondering if there is any possible way to get my headphone port repaired/replace. I hope I explained it ok and if you want any extra info please ask because I really want to get this problem fixed. Please help!

Thanks,
Marc

P.s My laptop is an Acer ASPIRE 5755G if that helps at all

squad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I am researching the internet and I will gather information from several websites. I will get back to you with the information in a while!

This link might be useful: Laptop's audio jack only works when bent at an angle - Super User

If you are still having trouble go to a repair place to get it repaired.

technology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to pchelper Send a message via Skype™ to pchelper
Default Re: Laptop Headphone Port Repair

As the link Technology provided suggests it is very possible that it is the Headphone cable and not the jack at all. If you have an extra set of headphones that is easy enough to check. You can even buy a cheap headphone to test it.

If you need to have it repaired it is possible to do. Finding a tech or repair place that is still willing or has the equipment to de-solder and solder to change the port is the challenge these days. Many just say that the board has to be changed instead of doing the repair at a reasonable price.
pchelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Private Joker

If the headphones themselves aren't the problem, then, you'll have to disassemble your laptop and make sure that they're surface mount ports like what I think it has. If that's true, then see if the mounts are too busted up to be re-used. if you can re-solder them back on yourself, then you won't have to buy anything.

Otherwise, you'll have to look for new surface mount audio jacks from somewhere such as DigiKey or even Amazon.

Failing that, you can get an entire new motherboard for that laptop off of eBay for around $70 it looked like.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
If the headphones themselves aren't the problem, then, you'll have to disassemble your laptop and make sure that they're surface mount ports like what I think it has. If that's true, then see if the mounts are too busted up to be re-used. if you can re-solder them back on yourself, then you won't have to buy anything.

Otherwise, you'll have to look for new surface mount audio jacks from somewhere such as DigiKey or even Amazon.

Failing that, you can get an entire new motherboard for that laptop off of eBay for around $70 it looked like.
I agree with carnage's suggestions
Old 10-27-2015, 10:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

This vid should show you how to disassemble the laptop if you decide to repair yourself - if you don't feel confident about doing it, don't do it.

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
S0ULphIRE is offline   Reply With Quote