Laptop HDMI to DVI-I external monitor - no signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

porgorg

Baseband Member
I'm trying to connect a laptop to an external monitor using an HDMI to DVI-I cable adapter.
I first used a Gateway FPD1760. Windows did recognise it but when I used Windowskey+P the monitor stayed in standby mode, even when I chose to extend the displays. The external monitor was there, it just wasn't displaying anything. I then installed a few updates [sliverlight, security essentials and Intel HD3000 update] and lo and behold the monitor came to life and all was well.

After a restart however the monitor again refused to display. In the Intel gfx properties the monitor is recognised as a secondary display. I've tried another Compaq 7020 but that's the same. They both work using the VGA port.

I've tried the function keys like LCD and the change monitor ones but that either changes the built-in monitor's resolution [to the screen ratio of what the external should be 4:3] or it just goes blank. Again the external just stays in standby.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Did you try setting the external monitor's resolution to something smaller? might be that its too big for the screen, for some odd reason.

Yeah, tried that plus adjusting the Hz but didn't make a difference. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the HDMI driver [if there is such a thing]. In Device Manager the two monitors are seen as Generic PnPs, not their specific names.
I'm going to try the manufacturers website for the drivers and see what happens.

RIght, couldn't find any drivers for the monitor/s but used on other desktops using DVI and they're fine [got worried about losing something called E-EDID which I only just found out about, but luckily that's not the case].

On the laptop, 7 recognised that there are ports free for other displays, on VGA and composite. Would composite be the HDMI port?

A general update.
Tried again to reduce both monitors to 1024x768 resolutions, this time it worked on the Compaq [I could then set both monitors to their recommended res's] but not on the Gateway, I'm still stuck using VGA on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom