Laptop HD Partitioning problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troen

Beta member
Alright, long read ahead.

I have an HP Pavilion dv5 Entertainment PC. I love this laptop. It is my baby.

Back to the problem. On this laptop, I decided to install Ubuntu 9.04 simply to play around with. I made a LiveCD of Ubuntu with no problem, popped it in and installed. It was a fun OS for a while, but it does not suit my needs for this laptop. Now, I want to remove the Ubuntu part of my hard drive. Heres where things get funky.

This is how my hard drive looks in its current state...
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/5914/harddrive.jpg

I want to remove Ubuntu completely and also lump the "Local Disk (F)" and "Local Disk (G)" back into the C: drive. When I double click them it just asks if I want to format them. There is no data on these drives (other than Ubuntu, I guess?). Basically, all the data I desire to keep is on the C: drive. Obviously this is excluding the HP recovery partition. I need to keep that.

I have slightly-higher-than-average skill when it comes to computers but I am beyond nervous about messing with this stuff. Like I said, this laptop is precious.

So, in short
-I want Ubuntu gone.
-I want those two drives back in with C:
-Because I'm very wary of messing with this, I'll basically need my hand held. Step by step guids would be perfect. I have searched the web, but decided to come here.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

You will need to use GParted. It is a LiveCD itself.

Browse GParted Files on SourceForge.net

Once you get into the interface delete those partitions. Now here is where it gets tricky. you will have to move the Recovery partition to the end, then resize the C:\ partition to include the newly created free space.

It might take a while since it has to move a bunch of data around. But that will be your best option to accomplish what you want.

Boot from your windows install disc. It will ask you to delete or create partitions. Delete both partitions. When it installs, it will create one unified partition. You're going to lose all your data. Make sure you back up what you need to keep.

Edit: Mak beat me. You can do his way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom