Laptop hard drive question. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 09-11-2011, 02:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Laptop hard drive question.

I currently have a Western Digital "blue" 320gb 5400rpm drive. I can't afford an ssd or give up the capacity but I was wondering if I would get a little performance boost from a 7200rpm drive? Enough to justify $50ish bucks....

Pentium D 935 @ 4.0ghz
AsRock g31
Kingston HyperX T1, 4gb
Radeon HD 5670 @ 860mhz gddr5
Antec High Current Gamer 520
InWin Br665 matx
CyberPower Green CP1500 900W UPS
Acer 20" G205hl
Camera Canon PowerShot SX10is
Originally Posted by KSoD View Post
1) Be Respectful Treat other members as you would have them treat you. This means no flaming, insulting, or belittling other members.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Laptop hard drive question.

I don't think you will really notice much of a gain. Maybe Windows will load a twinge faster. But the main thing is, 7200rpm will use more battery power than 5400rpm. Cut it in about 1/3.

__________________ Steam Account
Old 09-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

You'll definitely see an improvement in speed. I upgraded to a 7200 RPM drive from a 5400 RPM one and it's definitely a worth while upgrade.

As far as battery life goes, I haven't really done any testing on this, but from a pure speculation standpoint with a 5400 RPM drive it would take longer for the drive to speed up and position the heads, and then read the data than a 7200 RPM drive would.

It depends on what you're doing with the laptop to determine it's effect on battery life. If I'm just browsing the web, doing forum posting and stuff, then then I get fine battery life, comparable to what I was getting with the 5400 RPM drive. If it's something like watching a video or continually accessing the drive then I get worse battery life. But when it's plugged in it's definitely a solid decision to upgrade.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

You'll definitely notice a gain in performance going to that 7200rpm drive. but the key is making sure you get one that performs as expected.

That is, ABC 7200 rpm drive may perform 20% slower than XYZ 7200% drive and ABC may not show you all that much of a difference compared to your 5400rpm.

Just because it says "7200rpm" doesn't actually mean its going to be fast. Do some searching for drive comparisons and then go buy the best 7200 you can afford. Well worth it..

The only downside I have had so far, is that I can feel the heat..I'm running two 320gb 7200rpm drives and my baby gets friggin warm...My battery life is not effected much at all. I get only 2 hours out of a full charge, but its always been like that from day one since I bought it..the 1-2% loss I've had is probably from age, being 2 years old now.
Closed Thread