Laptop Hard Drive Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammie_123

Beta member
This morning I was booting up my laptop and I got a blue screen of death that gave an error about the registery. I contacted dell and they are sending me a new harddrive for my laptop. I was wondering if i got an Laptop to IDE hard drive adapter, if i could use my desktop to to retrieve the files from the harddrive. I was thinking since the hard drive would be acting as a slave that I might beable to save my files. Will this work?

If it's giving you a blue screen of death, that doesn't necessarily mean a bad drive. A bad drive wouldn't get past the BIOS, as it wouldn't load ANY part of the OS (instead, it'd just click loudly forever). You could definitely use a laptop-to-IDE adapter, or you could boot up a Linux CD (Ubuntu) and use it to copy files from the drive to a networked shared folder on another PC.

try a bart pe or live cd before you spend money. use spinrite 6.0 if you have the unmountable boot volume bsod

Same happend to mine, what it is, it is probaly your memory or something. If it is running windows XP, then boot from a windows xp CD, go through like your going to do an installation, and then click r for repair? Hope its helpfull

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom