Laptop Hard Drive Failure - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2008, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Laptop Hard Drive Failure

This morning I was booting up my laptop and I got a blue screen of death that gave an error about the registery. I contacted dell and they are sending me a new harddrive for my laptop. I was wondering if i got an Laptop to IDE hard drive adapter, if i could use my desktop to to retrieve the files from the harddrive. I was thinking since the hard drive would be acting as a slave that I might beable to save my files. Will this work?

Old 10-23-2008, 05:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Default Re: Laptop Hard Drive Failure

If it's giving you a blue screen of death, that doesn't necessarily mean a bad drive. A bad drive wouldn't get past the BIOS, as it wouldn't load ANY part of the OS (instead, it'd just click loudly forever). You could definitely use a laptop-to-IDE adapter, or you could boot up a Linux CD (Ubuntu) and use it to copy files from the drive to a networked shared folder on another PC.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Any of these will work. I recommend models that have a cable that splits power between two USB ports or have a +5v power jack. These don't cost much more than a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter and can be put to better use when the files are recovered. - USB 2.0, IDE, 2.5", External Enclosures, Computer Cases, Computer Hardware
Old 10-23-2008, 06:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

try a bart pe or live cd before you spend money. use spinrite 6.0 if you have the unmountable boot volume bsod
The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
Old 10-26-2008, 11:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Same happend to mine, what it is, it is probaly your memory or something. If it is running windows XP, then boot from a windows xp CD, go through like your going to do an installation, and then click r for repair? Hope its helpfull

Closed Thread