Laptop freezing/restarting when moved. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 07-12-2009, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Laptop freezing/restarting when moved.

Okay it started about 3 days ago.

I left my laptop on, unattended (as i have done many times), I came back and my screen was frozen. This hasn't happened to me before, so it's not a recurring problem.

Now for the "fun" part...

I can turn on my laptop, and it will sometimes work fine for hours IF LEFT UNTOUCHED.

As soon as I move it slightly, pfft, dead.
Either a frozen screen, a BSOD then restart, or simple a restart.

Sometimes it doesn't even boot past the first black screen, I.E. it doesn't boot up AT ALL, but I get a bunch of lights, even sometimes saying that some of my caps/scroll/num locks are on (what the ****).

It's not the HDD as it still does it when it's unplugged.
I ran a MEMTEST86 which said my RAM was fine, and I've tried reseating/switching/removing them one way then the other.
The battery seems to be fine, and whether it's plugged into AC seems to make no odds.
My laptop isn't dusty, doesn't seem to be heating up any more than it ever has done in the past, so shouldn't be that.

I have 1 theory left at the moment.

When I first opened up my laptop after the freeze and incurrent crashing, I noticed the heat pad over the CPU chip had been melted away to a point where I could see 80%+ of the silver square ontop.
All other heat pads are fine, being the one over the graphics card and 4 over some little "Samsung" black chips.

I've tried putting some ArcticSilver5 grease over the CPU and it still crashes.

So, my theory is that somewhere in my laptop, a wire or solder or SOMETHING has overheated and been disconnected, to a point where it's touching, but some slight movement disconnects it for a second.

This is so frustrating, especially since it was totally avoidable if I hadn't've left it on, even though I should've been able to, but hey, that's irrelevent right now eh.

I think that's all the information of what I've tried, but I'll answer any and all questions you want to fire at me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I really don't want to have to revert back to my crippled old Desktop...

Thanks in advance.
Closed Thread