Laptop Emulation??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klope3

Baseband Member
I feel awkward even asking about this, since it seems like such a strange and improbable idea to me. I'm wanting to buy a laptop (not notebook) soon, and I want to know how it runs before buying it. Is there any way I can get my PC to "emulate" another machine such as a laptop--so that it performs more or less the same way the laptop in question would? The idea would be to get my PC to "act like" it has the specifications of the laptop, so that I could run games and other applications to test how they would perform.

There is no way you can do so. All you can do is use VirtualBox or VMWare to virtually run OS's. You are limited by the program's drivers, however.

It depends on so many things if a game will work on your laptop. The greatest, being GFX, CPU, and RAM.

(I think you mean 'not a netbook'. Laptops and notebooks are the same thing.)

Also it would quite defeat the purpose of having the PC run an emulation as you cannot quite get your PC to emulate the exact laptop hardware specs. This being said, without all the different specs and bloatware that may be pre-installed it's merely the same as any machine with the same OS installed.

List your current specs and the specs of the lappy you are looking at (or links if you are looking at several) and we will give you a comparison of them.

I'm not sure it's worth your time to compare the two, because I'm looking for a laptop under $1000 (under $800 if at all possible) and most machines below that just require you to settle for less anyway.

My desktop has a GeForce GT 240, and I know I can't get any laptop with that kind of power within the constraints of my budget. (Such a machine would be in the $1500-$2000 range, am I wrong?)

But thanks for your time anyway!

I'm not sure it's worth your time to compare the two, because I'm looking for a laptop under $1000 (under $800 if at all possible) and most machines below that just require you to settle for less anyway.

My desktop has a GeForce GT 240, and I know I can't get any laptop with that kind of power within the constraints of my budget. (Such a machine would be in the $1500-$2000, am I wrong?)

But thanks for your time anyway!

I'm not completely up to date on mobile gpu's but matching a GT240 shouldn't be that difficult provided you are willing to live with a larger laptop.

Slickdeals.net have gaming PC's on sale all the time! You can easily get past your current specs with 800-1000 bucks.

FYI I got a gaming laptop. thought it would be cool to be able to transport it super easy to play games. Things I didn't think about when I got it that I would suggest thinking about before you purchase one is.

Cons
1. Battery life. Running the GPU and the everything else you will not be able to have it unplugged for more then an hour or two. Obviously this depends on your own laptop but most gaming laptops use a lot of power.
2. They are heavy and huge. Mine is a 17" so its a beast. I love the big screen though! If you go for something small it will still be significantly heavier then a laptop of the same size not built for gaming.
3. Price. You can throw 1000 bucks at a desktop and get almost twice the power.
4. Hard to upgrade.
Pros
1. Gaming anywhere is awesome. Once you get past the weight and bulkiness of the device it is awesome to game on lunch break or at school. If you travel its awesome playing games at hotel rooms!

That's all I can think of. If I would do it over again I would get a desktop. Not trying to steer you away from the laptop but these are things I didn't really think too much about before I got mine

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom