Laptop EMF, Wireless and Health Risks - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 03-08-2009, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Laptop EMF, Wireless and Health Risks

I spend so much time in front of my laptop that I am a bit concerned about the health risks of being constantly in close contact with the EMF (electro-magnetic fields) emited by the laptop, especially with the wi-fi turned on. Of course, the verdict is not in yet whether there are actually health risks, but I figure better safe than sorry. While I am at home I keep the wi-fi turned off and use networking through the electrical outlets. I only turn on the wi-fi while out and about.

I have scoped out some EMF detectors and have thought about buying one to get some idea about how much EMF is actually being emitted from the laptop with and without the wi-fi enabled. Also, there are some companies that sell metal sheeting that supposedly blocks EMF. I was thinking about getting some of this and putting it under my laptop, especially when I am working with it directly over my lap.

Does anyone have experience with EMF readers and EMF blocking products?

Old 03-08-2009, 08:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Grinch
Default Re: Laptop EMF, Wireless and Health Risks

Sorry but your wall socket will emit more EMF than your wireless card and laptop... EMF is all over, **** radio waves pass through your body on a constant basis... So it isn't going to hurt any. BTW, that stuff, you can't have any open areas or the EMF/Radio signals will pass around it, it is just pointless, it is used to more or less block an entire room off from radio signals.
Closed Thread