Laptop Displaying Green and Pink colors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpin3star

Baseband Member
Okay, so I've posted once before about this problem. The title says it all, my laptop has been acting up. It's under warranty and I've taken it to the computer place but it's been dragging on. They thought it was the graphics card, but after ordering 2 more and the problem still being present, they are trying alternatives. I have pictures in the link posted below of the problem.

Facts known:
-It always turns on with tiny pink pixels around text and other colored objects.
-The pink lines only appear on white backgrounds
-It seems that if I stay on it for 20+ minutes the entire screen gets green pixels.
-When connected to a monitor, the pink/green errors aren't there (on the external monitor).
-I've been through three graphics cards, so I don't think that's the problem.
-It can randomly go back to normal, with no pixels on it whatsoever.

Right now the computer place is looking at the ribbon that is connected to the screen? I'm not really computer-hardware literate. So, now I am here looking for some suggestions. Seeing that it's taken them 2 months so far and they still haven't deduced what the problem is. I appreciate the help!

-Matt

----Pictures----

Graphics Card Problem pictures by Alpin3star588 - Photobucket

EDIT: He seems pretty confident it is the video ribbon for the computer, but says he cannot find one anywhere and that he's even called ASUS. He is now saying that if he/I cannot find one, he'll have no choice but to refund the warranty money (but not the computer). I'm a bit frustrated and don't plan on leaving with a broken laptop. If anyone has any ideas on where to get an Asus g50vt x-5 video ribbon (15.6 screen), I would also be grateful.

If it is still under warranty, send it to the manufacturer. That isn't a GFX issue, something is wrong with the LCD.

I can't help you much with the issue, but he can't refuse your fix. He either needs to fix it or replace the laptop. If he claims he'll refund the warranty, say no. He's obligated to the warranty agreement. Unless it's specifically stated in the agreement. Otherwise, there's nothing stopping any company from issuing a warranty refund if the cost is greater than the fix.

The issue is, Asus's warranty only was for 3 months. This particular computer shop that wanted the sale offered me another 9 month warranty for $50. They've already taken a loss on replacing the graphics card that they assumed was the problem, so I guess he wants out. But I plan on either getting this one fixed, or a new laptop from them.

And yes Patonb I did try a secondary monitor. As stated above, the monitor has no problems whatsoever on it, but the laptop goes hay-wire on it's screen. So, it's not the graphics card. However, the pink lines/green/blue (new color) don't always appear in the same spots... So they don't think it's the LCD screen because of that. The ribbon cable is the only alternative (according to this PC shop). However, they can't find one and I've googled around and can't find one either. Perhaps someone knows a website that sells them?

Sounds like either the LCD panel or the ribbon cable that connects the panel to the motherboard. My HP had a similar issue but the entire screen would blank out randomly. I traced the problem down to the ribbon cable getting pinched, but for now I just taped around the cable and moved it so it wouldn't get damaged because a new cable cost $80.

It IS under warranty. It's just not under Asus's warranty. It was refurbished (and was not offered "new" at the time when I bought it) which might explain the short warranty. This computer shop extended it under THEIR responsibility for an additional 9 months. I will call that computer place when I get home, any other suggestions for where to purchase a ribbon cable or even identify which ribbon cable I need for my laptop? I am afraid to take my laptop apart to see, in fear of messing something up.

Thanks for the responses so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom