Laptop Display - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 08:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Laptop Display

My laptop's display went dead for a few days with the backlights still working. It booted up once during the period but it had all sorts of pink and green boxes all over. It came back to life a while ago and after one scary restart where the display was blank again, it came fine. I was wondering what could the problem be?

Oh yeah, I couldnt find a can of air anywhere in my vicinity so I couldnt clean the inside as was advised to me some time ago. but I'm bringing it to HP tomorrow for cleaning. And since the problem regarding the display "seems" to be fixed, it might escape notice during the checking by the technicians, so I was wondering what could I tell the man about the problem.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Re: Laptop Display

Hi,

Simply describe to the technician the condition(s) in which the problem seemed to occur, the symptoms exhibited, and the actions you took to try to fix the problem (successful or not). Your first paragraph describing the problem should be sufficient.

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 11-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

it may be the video card slipping out of place or the connector that connects the monitor to the mobo is slipping; so tell him to make sure everything is snug in place.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

I got it already, the display opened up again for a while before blanking out again, just after it suddenly said display driver error. This blanking out and off started after I updated the display drivers a few weeks ago. I thought I fixed it already. Anyway. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Ok this is wierd. The guy from HP told me I needed to have my system board replaced. WHA? Well I am not really sure what part of the laptop the systemboard is since I'm not too much of a hardware techie, so if you guys could explain to me what it is and what is does exactly maybe I can get a picture in my mind of what is happening. All I know for now is that its **** quite expensive.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lady Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanchan05 View Post
Ok this is wierd. The guy from HP told me I needed to have my system board replaced. WHA? Well I am not really sure what part of the laptop the systemboard is since I'm not too much of a hardware techie, so if you guys could explain to me what it is and what is does exactly maybe I can get a picture in my mind of what is happening. All I know for now is that its **** quite expensive.
It's another name for the motherboard, i.e. the main part of the comp which all the parts connect to.

LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Old 11-13-2009, 07:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

Oh. I see. ****. The guy from HP called and informed me that the Nvidia chip did have the problem and that the unit overheated since it needed cleaning. And it was indeed already due for cleaning.. It seemed that my brother used it a lot while I was away and despite me having told them not to. then it hanged a few times, he kept on using it until the display went out. I asked them to see if there was another way to get it running, at least so that I can get all the things I need from the hard drive which according to their tests worked fine. Only the Nvidia chipset had problems. I wonder, is there any other way to fix it without changing the sys board? That's **** expensive, I could buy a new laptop for the price!

Closed Thread