Laptop Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajstech

Beta member
Hey everyone,
I have not been a member of this forum for very long so I do not know for sure if I am posting this in the correct section, or if a similar idea has been or should be proposed. Anyway here is what I thought of:

So recently I was sitting around considering random things like I normally do during my free time, and I had an idea. I've always had an interest in computer technology, and entrepreneurship. Because of this I've been wanting to design a laptop for a while. I know that there is no way to out-compete the big laptop companies in any way at what they have been doing, but I know a lot of people who really enjoy customizing and modifying their laptops, but that is a made significantly more difficult by the design.
Essentially what I want to do is create a laptop system that is completely modular so that any of the internal or external components(outer shell, processor, hard drive, trackpad, screen, anything else you could possibly want to change) can be easily taken apart and swapped out. I also think that it needs to be aesthetically elegant and simple once fully assembled.
The reason that I want to post on this forum, is that I am not capable of this myself. I have built and repaired a couple desktop pcs, and I have a basic understanding of how computers work, but I have no advanced expertise or resources necessary to manufacture anything.
I think that it could be very worthwile to embark on this project, and what I am hoping to find is a few people who like me are not interested in it for financial goals, but for the interest of trying to design something that may or may not be possible given limited resources.
I havent done a great job of explaining it, but if anyone has any interest, or at least feedback be it positive or negative, please reply and let me know.

Nearly 90% of a laptop, save the CPU, RAM, HDD, ODD, or mini-PCI cards, are integrated. You would need to know a lot about mechanics before you can even start using removable media.

IMO, you won't get very far, and will probably waste a lot of money doing it.

Nearly 90% of a laptop, save the CPU, RAM, HDD, ODD, or mini-PCI cards, are integrated. You would need to know a lot about mechanics before you can even start using removable media.

IMO, you won't get very far, and will probably waste a lot of money doing it.

I know that the vast majority of a laptop is integrated. I also know that desktop computers usually have no integrated components, and the only reason I can see for this is space efficiency. I realize that a project like this is extremely difficult, however I think it is an interesting idea and in my experience there is no reason not to try. As for money, design concepts are free and at this point all I'm trying to do is to get creative design concepts and ideas.

Umm, no? Desktop motherboards have integrated sound, integrated ethernet, integrated video in some scenarios.

If you want to throw your money away for this, go ahead. You'll be wasting a lot of money with what you are trying to accomplish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom