Laptop CPU temp jumps from 50C to 90-100C!

zaka100

W͂Oͨ̍̍̒̈́͛̕
Well, I was busy programming on my laptop and I was experimenting on lzma compression, when I tried decompressing my file, python went unresponsive for some time until I noticed it was using full cpu so I closed it in task manager. I put my hand next to my laptop fan and it was VERY hot, I panicked and quickly opened speedfan to check my temp, it was reading around 90-100C! As soon as possible I turned off my laptop and waited several minutes and then started it up again. I opened up speedfan again and it said the cpu was running @ 50C approx. but then it just jumped to 90/100C for a bit but then went down to 70C and back to 50C and this kept on happening. I thought it was just a reading error so I tried HWmonitor but that was giving the same kind of readings! ATM I'm writing this, my cpu is at 74C!:CerealSpit:

Hi I figured you already cleaned the vents,but that's what came to my mind!!
Maybe time for new thermal paste???? Sorry that's all that comes to my mind!!
Gary!

Firstly, ditch SpeedFan. It's always been inaccurate on every system I've used it on. Use something like HWMonitor (I see that you say you double-checked and it gave the same readings...so why not stick with the better application ;) ).

Secondly, what are your laptop's specs (brand/model preferably)?

Thirdly, the CPU is definitely going to ramp up when doing compression as that's a very CPU-heavy operation. Are the fans in your laptop good? It's possible that the cooling in your laptop is just bad and not up to par with doing a lot of heavy operations.

+1 to Donetao's suggestion of repasting your heatsink in your laptop if you can. That should at least help somewhat, and you'll be able to clean out any dust buildup that you couldn't get to when cleaning out your vents before.

Would also suggest that you look into getting a laptop cooling pad with a good enough fan to cool your laptop down.

Development takes a lot of CPU (believe me) - developing on a lower-end system or one with terrible cooling is difficult. My gaming laptop makes a much better development machine than a couple other systems I had in college because it keeps cooler, has more memory (extremely important), and more powerful CPU to compile/build faster.

No no no You do not use a vacuum cleaner to clean out any computer. The air moving through a plastic hose will build up a static charge that can and most likely will discharge in to your computer. That will render it an expensive paper weight or door prop. Besides over revving the fan and damaging the bearings.

A can of cleaning air and a tooth pick work wonders. Push the tooth pick down in between the blades to keep the fan from spinning. Feed the nozzle tube from the canned air in to the intake toward the exhaust vent. Pull the trigger while working the tube back and forth to get as much of the heat sink as possible.

If you suspect the heat sink is clogged up badly, you're going to have to resort to opening up the case and use a horse hair brush and canned air to clean it.

And the term laptop is a misnomer. In your lap or on the bed covers the intake vents will be blocked and it will get really hot. Also on most laptop's I've owned over the years, the rubber feet are too short. Even sitting on a flat surface the intake is getting starved for air. I suggest getting a laptop riser. You can then use a USB keyboard and mouse to work off of and the system can get all the air it needs to keep as cool as it can.
Cooler Master: NOTEPAL U2 PLUS

No no no You do not use a vacuum cleaner to clean out any computer. The air moving through a plastic hose will build up a static charge that can and most likely will discharge in to your computer. That will render it an expensive paper weight or door prop. Besides over revving the fan and damaging the bearings.

A can of cleaning air and a tooth pick work wonders. Push the tooth pick down in between the blades to keep the fan from spinning. Feed the nozzle tube from the canned air in to the intake toward the exhaust vent. Pull the trigger while working the tube back and forth to get as much of the heat sink as possible.

If you suspect the heat sink is clogged up badly, you're going to have to resort to opening up the case and use a horse hair brush and canned air to clean it.

And the term laptop is a misnomer. In your lap or on the bed covers the intake vents will be blocked and it will get really hot. Also on most laptop's I've owned over the years, the rubber feet are too short. Even sitting on a flat surface the intake is getting starved for air. I suggest getting a laptop riser. You can then use a USB keyboard and mouse to work off of and the system can get all the air it needs to keep as cool as it can.
Cooler Master: NOTEPAL U2 PLUS
Been using vacs to clean my computers for 14 years and no issues. If you're dumb enough not to use a bristle end to break up the dust anyways you deserve to get it zapped, which to others hasn't ever happened either. Both EDS from canned air and static from a vac are extremely overstated and over argued. The simple fact being people have done it for years without issue. If I feel safe enough to hold a Titan X and clean it with my shop vac using the bristle end then some dudes cleaning the plastic (which isn't conductive) of his laptop will be of no issue. To toss more fuel on the fire, each place I've worked tech support at had a 3M electronic vac which is comprised of the same materials of a regular shop vac you can get from Walmart.

Now for the people recommending laptop coolers, this can actually cause issues with direction of flow and air pressure. The best thing anybody can do is raise the laptop up for a completely unobstructed flow of air. That is unless the laptop cooler itself has a decent fan with no blockage aimed directly at the intake passage of the laptop. For instance the CM unit linked is decent, but those 2 small fans are directly in the center where most all laptop fans aren't. The grill is like putting a metal grill in front of a case fan. The laptop may be raised, but it still has obstruction of flow. My advice to anybody using a laptop for heavy tasks would be to use your power brick to lift the back end of the device up. Most larger laptops have extruding batteries in the rear you can use to prop on the power brick. If this isn't possible then you can use 2 litre caps to raise the rear end as long as they aren't block the air vents.

Another thing to think about is after a year or so the tiny laptop heatsinks can get up to an inch or more layer of dust build up that almost completely blocks all air flow. The only way to resolve this is take the thing apart and remove the layer of build up.

^ Just don't put the power brick on the battery itself, since heat kills batteries...and laptops produce enough heat already.

^ Just don't put the power brick on the battery itself, since heat kills batteries...and laptops produce enough heat already.
Mine's been running fine for over a year now and it stays that way. It's a 180w brick too. Battery life is still about the same as when I got it.

Hi! Why hasn't someone came up with the idea to use some kind of porous material to place over the vents on a lap top, that will help filter out the dust and cat hair??
My Toshiba sets flat on my desk top. I seldom carry it around. I haven't cleaned the vents in years and it never gets hot. I'm waiting for the temps to go up before I get excited about cleaning it. Event some kind of filter that you can clean and goes on the out side and you will be a millionaire. One guy suggested using women's patty hose, but I haven't tried that! LOL
Gary!

Back
Top Bottom