Laptop CPU dilema

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamBam7720

Beta member
Im brand new to this forum and not very savy on computers but I'm having trouble with my CPU.
I have an HP pavilion with an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ that is only running at 797 MHz at this time.
Could it be going out or is there some other culprit? Someone told me they cant be changed out that a new computer is my only option.

clocks (core #0)
CPUZ is showing: 798.01 MHz
Multiplier x 4
Bus speed 199.5
HT link 598.5
Thanks in advance
Any help would be appreciated

That's normal. It's part of AMD Cool n Quiet technology. When you're not performing any strenuous tasks with your laptop, it clocks down to circa 800 mhz to save energy. My Turion 64 does it to me when I'm on battery power and just surfing the net, and my last laptop, which an athlon 64 mobile proc, did the same thing. You've got nothing to worry about.

Well I guess i didnt give enough info....Arent you supposed to know what I'm thinking? :)

It shuts off when I'm doing something that requires a lot of juice such as a game or even watching a video.

I thought it might have something to do with the processor but it might be something else.

Oh, I see now. This could very well be heat related. That would explain the crashing under demanding apps and constant underclocking. I used to have a Dell lappy that did this to me. Applying AS5 to the cpu did the trick. This is very easy, takes 5-10 mins tops. Are you familiar with how to do this in your laptop? If not, post your model and we can find you the proper service manual that would have the instructions.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00212209.pdf

Here's the link to the service manual. That should contain everything you need to remove the cpu, apply AS5, and reinstall it. Also double check that all of your fans are working and spinning properly. You should be able to feel warm air venting from them. It's possible one of them would need to be replaced.

edit: also check your cpu fan. I think you should be able to check it's rpm in the bios. Make sure that's working properly as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom