Laptop Cord Help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Old 06-19-2015, 08:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via Skype™ to Zekester2015
Question Laptop Cord Help

Let me start by explaining a few things first. First off, I have this old Lenovo laptop, which doesn't have a usable hard drive in it (It was formatted for Apple computers.. its a long story...)
I have an Ubuntu (Linux build) flash drive, so I wanted to be able to use my old Lenovo with it... BUT my cat chewed up part of the charger, it is on the adapter part (the cord attached to the adapter) (Output 20V).
The cord still functions, but part of the wiring is exposed.. I put some electrical tape on the exposed part, but I feel nervous about using it, as when I plug it in, the charger makes a sparking noise a couple times...
My question is, Is it safe to use this cord??? Or is it a fire hazard???

Zekester2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker
Default Re: Laptop Cord Help

I wouldn't risk it and replace it, or patch it yourself by cutting the exposed part out, solder together the new ends and use heatshrink wrap to wrap the wire(s) inside, as well the outer sheath.

Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Re: Laptop Cord Help

Can you take a photo of which bit of the cable was chewed?

Often the two (or three pin) 230V/110V (depending on the country) cable that goes into the laptop PSU makes a bit of a crackle when it goes in anyway. Cable pictured below:

But of course, my "official" advice would be to replace a damaged cable (they're fairly cheap anyway). Proper electrical insulation tape should be fine though really as long as it doesn't come off, and the cat hasn't managed to chew through and metal cable either...
cb600fshornet is offline   Reply With Quote

charger, fire, hazard, question, ubuntu