Laptop Cord Help

Zekester2097

In Runtime
Let me start by explaining a few things first. First off, I have this old Lenovo laptop, which doesn't have a usable hard drive in it (It was formatted for Apple computers.. its a long story...)
I have an Ubuntu (Linux build) flash drive, so I wanted to be able to use my old Lenovo with it... BUT my cat chewed up part of the charger, it is on the adapter part (the cord attached to the adapter) (Output 20V).
The cord still functions, but part of the wiring is exposed.. I put some electrical tape on the exposed part, but I feel nervous about using it, as when I plug it in, the charger makes a sparking noise a couple times...
My question is, Is it safe to use this cord??? Or is it a fire hazard???

I wouldn't risk it and replace it, or patch it yourself by cutting the exposed part out, solder together the new ends and use heatshrink wrap to wrap the wire(s) inside, as well the outer sheath.

Can you take a photo of which bit of the cable was chewed?

Often the two (or three pin) 230V/110V (depending on the country) cable that goes into the laptop PSU makes a bit of a crackle when it goes in anyway. Cable pictured below:
http://www.topazsupport.co.uk/acatalog/PX1082E-2NAC.JPG

But of course, my "official" advice would be to replace a damaged cable (they're fairly cheap anyway). Proper electrical insulation tape should be fine though really as long as it doesn't come off, and the cat hasn't managed to chew through and metal cable either...

Back
Top Bottom