Laptop Cooling Issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

elsawdelabone

Beta member
I have a Gateway P-6860FX Laptop with a Zalman ZM-NC2000 cooler. I originally bought the cooler to prevent my laptop from overheating while I played WoW. It does the job and since I bought it over a year ago my laptop has not overheated on me while playing WoW since.

I had a few problems while playing Left for Dead 2 and now more recently while trying to play Starcraft 2. The laptop will overheat and shut off after an hour or so of playing. Even when I leave it off to cooldown first. I noticed that a few people mentioned something about the fans spinning opposite directions and how this could actually be a detriment to the performance of the cooling fan?

I read a couple of the threads in this forum and alot suggested Notebook Cooling PADS. Im not to sure how these work and was wondering if it would be better to have the PAD rather than the FANS. Ive also read about a few programs that might be able to make your fans run faster or more often?

Im not a computer whiz or anything but im not completely moronic. Ive blown the dust away from the fans on the laptop itself and it still doesnt help. Is there anything else I can do to the actual machine to help out? I saw a few people experimented in removing parts from underneath the laptop to enhance the effectiveness of the fans and was wondering if that was a solution that I could try.

Thank you in advance for any replies and for the time it took you to read my babble.

Starcraft is a ton more powerful than WoW. Play it at a lower setting. Laptop GPUs can't take much of a beating as desktop GPUs.

Plus, your laptop graphic card is a bit old. Don't expect to play the newest game out there with old hardware.

And to forewarn, you can't buy a new graphics card for your laptop.

Blizzard Confirms StarCraft II Overheating Bug | Koku Gamer

just saying

i wondered the same after SC2 got my dual 4850 mobility in CFX (about the power of a 4890 some time more depending of the game) to overheat at first i though it was my overclock so i flashed them back to stock and **** no still overheating

so i did my self a favor and used google the fix gives you more time but it won't prevent the game from overheating your gpu over time

also watch seriously your temps the 8800 and 9800 mobile serie of cards have been know to be overheat bomb in laptops your cooler kept it cool so it survived yet but they tends to deal preatty bad with overheating

sadly your laptop does not use the MXM standar so you can't upgrade the GPU unless you change the whole laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom