Laptop cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abstract Hero

Hyper Techie
I think we as a forum need to have a little discussion. A couple times I've heard "You can't max out a game on a laptop because you'll fry it." (summarized, not exact quote)

Now I just believe this to be a poor assumption. Wouldn't a safer one be to assume the laptop company has at least stress tested their setup? I men I've folded on my "stock" cooled (no coolerpad) laptop (not recommended) and it ain't dead so why would a game kill it? It just seems crazy to me that just because you game on your laptop you suddenly have this overwhelming possibility that you may fry your machine.

My general point is that I see a lot of people saying laptops have heat issues. I don't have those issues. I'm also not a halfwit who uses the laptop on top of a comforter in bed. :p

I do believe there are the cheap laptops though that skimp out on cooling and they probably shouldn't exist.

What is your opinion and support?

Discuss.

Any amount of continuous load will, overtime, degrade your components.

We just try to tell people that heat is the greatest issue, because they are not looking at the $1,500+ range. They want one that's under $600, and can play the latest games. 99% of the time, this will not work, but with heat problems galore.

It all depends on the model. Some are more apt to supreme cooling, while others are not.

Any amount of continuous load will, overtime, degrade your components.

We just try to tell people that heat is the greatest issue, because they are not looking at the $1,500+ range. They want one that's under $600, and can play the latest games. 99% of the time, this will not work, but with heat problems galore.

It all depends on the model. Some are more apt to supreme cooling, while others are not.

I'm speaking beyond your usual degrading. Beyond the age.

I'm speaking about failures. Catastrophic failure.

We all know heat caused by resistance in circuits wears them out and will cause death whether it be a year down the road or 10 but what I wish to discuss is the TJ max reaching one month of life death and What make laptops so vulnerable.

Why is it we can say a desktop is safe at 70c but a laptop is at serious risk at the same temp?

Oh , and about the models thing. I bring this up because I've seen someone tell another that a ASUS G series is going to have heat issues. Now this person clearly didn't look at the model or do any research because those familiar with this particular model know it's cooling system isn't made for your average laptop... or spaceship...

This whole thread I want to use to spread the knowledge so we are all on the same page about the subject.

I do agree though. It does come down to the model among other factors but I feel the argument that your going to "cook it" is used to lightly.

I think the misconception on the TJmax is that, a desktop has an easier time cooling down 70C than a laptop. Laptops don't have 3 x 120mm internal fans. They also do not have room to spread the heat.

A room with no windows will stay hotter longer than in a room with a window open.

I think the misconception on the TJmax is that, a desktop has an easier time cooling down 70C than a laptop. Laptops don't have 3 x 120mm internal fans. They also do not have room to spread the heat.

A room with no windows will stay hotter longer than in a room with a window open.
The TJ max part was only said to express my point. TJ max isn't part of the discussion :p

I get what your saying and your right but not sure how that affects the temperature itself.

I mean, 2 computers, one desktop and one laptop, have a high load temp of 70c and roughly similar components. They will degrade in the same way at about the same speed will they not?

Even if they had similar components, they can not be compared. Always, a desktop object will be more powerful. They will degrade differently per their different architectures.

Like back to the AMD vs Intel fight.

:sweat:No matter how I put this there are too many variables.

I'm not gonna argue because you're not wrong but I think there is even more to it.

No Abstract is actually very correct. But the difference is the amount of gaming done on a laptop compared to a desktop. If you are a casual gamer and only play a game once a week or less, like once a month, then gaming on your laptop is not going to "degrade" your setup any less than watching an over abundance of YouTube Videos.

Now if you are a hard core and heavy gamer, then yes. Using a laptop will be problematic.

The part of desktops and laptops being worlds different that they cant be discussed is garbage. Sorry but it is true. They use the same parts. Laptops are just more form factor to fit into different sized cases. But yet we can have Apple Mac Mini's which are very much smaller than any Windows based Laptop and no one says a word about gaming on them. What about the Dell Optiplex which is about the same size as a Laptop? Maybe 2 laptops stacked. Yet people use them to game all the time. Same aspect using form factor parts. There are desktops out there that are very small indeed and use form factor parts just like laptops but are desktops. So to say that they cant be compared cause the parts used are worlds apart doesnt hold true. You are only thinking of 1 aspect of what a true "desktop" PC is and not taking into account that desktops come in all shapes and sizes and dont have to be in a case that you could transport a WMD in.

The fact is simple. Laptops can be used for gaming, if you are not a hard core gamer. If you play Facebook games or are a casual gamer, then playing games on your laptop is not going to do any more damage to your system than running Photoshop on there. Which is a program that no one ever says a thing about. It is very intensive and can do as much damage as any game.

So really it comes down to the amount. If you have a laptop cooling pad to help circulate the air, then you dont have much to worry about.

Well said Mak.

I have had experience with 2 laptops failing due to heat. At my former high school there was a laptop that was constantly being used. I myself used this very laptop on a flat wooden desk in a cool room. Problem was, when I got the laptop it felt quite warm, too warm. After using the laptop for several minutes, I noticed my fingers getting very warm. I held down a key and felt this very key get warm to the point that it was uncomfortable, it didn't burn me, but it was on the verge of being painful. I looked at the keyboard and saw heat waves coming out (I hope you understand what I mean). I promptly powered down the laptop and returned it to the teacher. The next day, the laptop would only BSOD when turned on, then it displayed a black screen describing an error and using an F key to troubleshoot. When this black screen appeared, the laptop would not respond. I have no idea what failed, but I am sure it was entirely due to heat.

Another laptop was much more modern, within 2010 model I believe. This was a Dell laptop (as was the perviously described model) only this one had it's video card fail. While playing The Sims 3 on this laptop it could cause the laptop to crash. After less than 3 hours, the laptop would display static only and the speakers would have a loud hissing noise. After a few days, the owner had to return this laptop to the store that they bought it at due to video card failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom