laptop constantly plugged in? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2009, 01:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default laptop constantly plugged in?

will you damage a laptop battery if its always plugged in? or should you unplug it at some point

Old 09-29-2009, 01:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar
Default Re: laptop constantly plugged in?

You are going to get a ton of different answers here.

Technically speaking no, you won't damage it because lithium-ion batteries (assuming that is what you have) do not have a 'memory effect' like the older batteries do. So keeping it constantly plugged in will not diminish the lifespan on the battery. The issue here though is lithium-ion batteries don't last as long as the older ones so your battery will only have an average lifespan of 1 to 2 years.

Short answer, no. But you will hear others say it does effect it. I'm just speaking from a technical standpoint that supposedly that is one of the benefits of lithium-ion, no memory effect so you won't damage the battery by having it plugged in all the time.

-Vista SME
Old 10-09-2009, 07:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I keep my laptop plugged in and the only bad thing that has come of it is I'm on my third charger. They get pretty hot and if you keep it plugged in all day/night they can damage themselves. Not to mention you could drop $115 on a new charger easily at like Best Buy. I got my newest cable at Office Depot for 50% off and it was $60. So i suggest atleast unplugging it at night when its not in use.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

well the only time i have mine plugged in now is when im using it, the last time i had it plugged in all night i touched the charger and it was real hot so from then on i just plug it in when im on it
Closed Thread