Laptop for college

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, my friends who are at college already said that almost no one actually uses their laptop for notes, and most people just use them as a desktop replacement. For those of you at college already, does this seem to be the way of it?

Hmmm, my friends who are at college already said that almost no one actually uses their laptop for notes, and most people just use them as a desktop replacement. For those of you at college already, does this seem to be the way of it?

At RIT, this is definitely the case. And more often than not, when I see people in class with laptops -- they aren't taking notes.

If just notes and web surfing are the case. I would get a netbook. Bring your desktop because in my opinion laptops feel weird sitting at a desk anyway. Just being on a laptop wether it is powerful or not feel like a restraint to me as well. Unless you need all your high end power sucking programs (photoshop, games and blah) in class or portable I would go netbook.

When I asked my friends about battery life and note taking, I got these responses:

Nick said:
maybe 1.5 hours. dont really matter cuz i dont take it to school and dont take notes on it. if ur gunna buy a ****ty laptop with a long battery life then i would take notes on it if i was you. i aint bringin my beast to school.
^community college

Joe said:
I never take notes on mine. Writing is faster/easier. I like reading my own print better than text. Most teachers don't even allow it bc you might be playing games or something. I've only seen 3 people in all my classes combined using them for notes. Most just use it as desktop replacement in dorm room. Very few people have desktops.

I get around 2 hrs. I'm leaving my notebook at home now so I can use it when I stay for weekends and dont want to haul my desktop

Mexican said:
ya i agree with joe, i only see 2-3 people bring their laptops to class. however i would recommend bringing a laptop. my room mate is always bringing girls to our dorm (lol) and it is hard to study with 4-5 people in here so i bring my laptop to the hall's basement study rooms to study. obviously you couldnt do that if you had a desktop...

Joe said:
Netbooks suck. Most have keyboards that are irregularly small and are, therefore, created with tiny Asian men in mind. Us tall white guys just can't type properly on them. FACT.

Those are the only ones who responded. I think I'm shying away from the netbook idea and back to laptop.

It is all up to what you feel comfortable with. Go into Best Buy and play around on there laptops and netbooks and decide which feels right to you.

I got this: Newegg.com - HP Pavilion dv6-1268nr NoteBook AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-82(2.20GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 - Laptops / Notebooks

I wasn't expecting the best deal to come from a company like hp, but the 4650 is better than both the 130M and 3850, so I'm happy. Only thing I don't like is the 5400 rpm hdd and 6 cell lithium ion battery. I would have prefered more battery life, but I think I can live with that HDD. In this rig I accidentally bought a WD caviar green instead of a black and its spindle speed is closer to 5400 than 7200. I can live with it, so I should be able to live with this.

Hi! i'm new here and just wanna give my 2 cents. I currently own a netbook and a regular laptop. It all depends on preference. I use the netbook most of the time since I mostly do emails and document editing on the little sucker and it runs a lot cooler than my regular laptop. I only use the laptop usually if I need to do graphics intensive stuff like photoshop or CAD. Again, its really up to you. But reading the whole thread, i would suggest sticking with a regular laptop. :)

EDIT: Oh, btw.. I'd pick the Asus G51. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom