Laptop for college

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well in your choices I should have a preference to the ASUS F3 Series F3KA-X4 and HP Pavilion dv6936us. Those two are better brands more reliable.

yeah I like he HP too.

I just realized I was talking about a different HP when I said I didn't like the design. Here's the one a mistook for the one I was actually looking at:

Newegg.com - HP Pavilion dv2990nr NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T5750(2.00GHz) 14.1" Wide XGA 3GB Memory 250GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS - Laptops / Notebooks

Don't worry I, I don't want that one. I was just trying to show everybody I wasn't crazy :p. I wonder who would actual like that kind of design on their laptop. Probably one of those crazy design students (we have a college of design in our university as well).

edit. I just found the specs recommended by the bookstore at my university...I think Im good with what I got and a good price compared to what the bookstore wants:

Student-Owned Computing

Yeah, the color scheme on HP's new models is simple:

Glossy black top with "Radiance imprint finish" (a circle pattern embedded into the plastic, I think it looks cool, it's not distracting or bright, just fine lines)
Glossy black screen frame (bottom of the "top half"), no imprint finish
Glossy silver keyboard area with imprint finish
Flat black bottom side

It's a pretty good design in my opinion, and it's not painted on so the finish won't wear off. The keyboard on my dv9000 is great, as is the touchpad and touch-sensitive media controls (the dv6000 probably has the same touchpad/media buttons and the same keyboard minus the number pad).

And yes, I don't know who would want a notebook with all those colors lol, that was way too much!

Why no votes for mac? I wish I would have gone mac when I started college, looking back. A lot of times you wont have time to put up with the hoops pc's put you through, as college is insanely time/resource consuming. Plus, your budget puts you right at a macbook, which are the perfect size for a student on the move.

I don't want a mac. I am comfortable with windows. This will be my first machine with Vista but Ill have a good month before classes start to get used to it. And if push comes to shove, I have a XP home disc laying around that I could use on the laptop. I know its got 4gb of memory but if you don't know how to use the operating system then its pretty much useless even with 4gb of memory.

But Im confident I will get used to Vista before classes start. And who knows, I might actually like it and decide to upgrade my desktops to Vista....we'll see.

I actually really like vista. It's XP for faster computers (better looking, more of a resource hog). Really they didn't change much/anything from xp besides for the looks.

I'm just making sure you have considered mac, since that is something I regret not doing.

I hear you. I think the mac notebooks look cool.

But again, Im comfortable with windows. I have all my programs that I like, in the order I like and I don't think I want to have to figure out what are the good programs for macs for the purposes I want them for. Basically I just got my windows setup just the way I like it and I don't want to change :p. I know vista is different, but like you said it's still like XP but more demanding. So I think I could get used to something like that in a month, but a mac book might take me more time to get it the way I like.

I wouldn't go with Mac. Most people use Microsoft Office, so using Mac will hinder you (even if there is a Mac version, it is probably less compatible than the Microsoft Windows version). I think Vista is great, hated it when it came out, but now your average PC is more than capable to handle it. For a mouse, I have the Microsoft Optical Notebook Mouse 4000, it's a tiny mouse that is powered by a single AA battery (lasts forever on just one battery, only needs replaced once every few months, and that's with the mouse on 24/7) and it has a USB radio receiver that you plug into a USB port on your laptop. The receiver fits into the back of the mouse when you're not using it (also turns the mouse off when you put the receiver into the slot, there's a switch that cuts power to the mouse to save battery life).

Other than that, I recommend the HP dv6000 with Vista 64. I think you'll like it, I sure like my HP (of course it's bigger/faster/better but still, the overall design is great and Vista 64 is top of the line now). The only problems you'll run into with Vista 64 are unsigned drivers. Vista 64 doesn't allow them, but there are hacks to get around this (such as overclocking GPU using RivaTuner, the RivaTuner drivers are blocked, but you can still use them with a program that overrides the check).

Yeah, the hp dv6000 laptops look good. My dad works with HP (not for...kinda like a rep. for the company he works for) and might be able to get me a better price. So which ever is cheaper (newegg or dad's contacts) I will go with.

Also the notebook mouse you suggested, which one do you use:

Newegg.com - Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse 4000 B2P-00006 2-Tone 4 Buttons Tilt Wheel USB RF Wireless Optical Mouse - Mouse

Newegg.com - Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical 4000 FA2-00002 Black 4 Buttons Tilt Wheel USB RF Wireless Optical Mouse 3-Pack - Mouse

That last one is too much though. What about the 3000 series:

Newegg.com - Microsoft Notebook Optical Mouse 3000 BX3-00001 Winter Blue 3 Buttons Tilt Wheel USB RF Wireless Optical Mouse - Mouse

thanks,
darkop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom