Laptop Boots to Dark Screen - HELP! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2015, 02:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Laptop Boots to Dark Screen - HELP!

I was working on my laptop last nite when all of a sudden it turned itself off. Now when I turn it on the screen is black and the laptop is on for 5 secs then turns itself off. While its on the fan works at full throttle which is weird.

I also tried swapping the harddrive with another one to see if its a harddrive issue. But its not. On rare occasions, when I reapplied thermal paste to the heat sink, the laptop would boot to the desktop. But again, this only works 2 out of 10 times.

I seriously need to get my laptop working. I hope you guys can help me.

koolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: Laptop Boots to Dark Screen - HELP!

Brand/model of the laptop?

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolx View Post
I was working on my laptop last nite when all of a sudden it turned itself off. Now when I turn it on the screen is black and the laptop is on for 5 secs then turns itself off. While its on the fan works at full throttle which is weird.

I also tried swapping the harddrive with another one to see if its a harddrive issue. But its not. On rare occasions, when I reapplied thermal paste to the heat sink, the laptop would boot to the desktop. But again, this only works 2 out of 10 times.

I seriously need to get my laptop working. I hope you guys can help me.
What recent changes have you made? how comes you have applied thermal paste 10 times?

When it switched off did you notice your laptop was very hot? and was it plugged in or running on battery?
Old 01-26-2015, 02:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2D__ View Post
What recent changes have you made? how comes you have applied thermal paste 10 times?

When it switched off did you notice your laptop was very hot? and was it plugged in or running on battery?
I didnt make any changes. Who said I applied thermal paste 10 times? No, its not hot. It was plugged in.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
I didnt make any changes. Who said I applied thermal paste 10 times? No, its not hot. It was plugged in.
He thought that because you said 2 out of 10 times that method works for you.

EDIT:

So it turns on for 5 seconds; does it shut down and reboot, shutdown, or continue to run with a black screen until you decide to turn it off?

I would hate to think that you have a bad mobo component or power issue. getting into the BIOS. Right when you turn it on just keep repeatedly hitting F2, DEL, or ESC until bios appears. I don't know what key you would hit because I don't know your model
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.4 GHz | Cooling: Just Fans | Motherboard: BioStar Tz68K+ | RAM: Cosair Vengeance16GB (4X4GB) DDR3 @ 1600MHz | Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 560 TI | HDD: 1 TB Western Digital (want SSD for OS) | Sound: On-Board sound | PSU: CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W | Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Scout SGC-2100-KWN3 | OS's: Window 7 Professional x64, Kali Linux 1.0.9 | Display: Dell 24-inch HD, Samsung 24-inch HD
SubliminalX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
You didn't post the brand/model of the laptop... If it's one that's known to have this issue (several Compaq and HP's), then it's toast and not worth fixing.

We had a member here just a week or 2 ago post with a similar issue of his laptop shutting off and not turning back on similar to you, and it turned out be a known Compaq model that had issues with the motherboard and heat killing the board eventually.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 01-26-2015, 06:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalX7 View Post
He thought that because you said 2 out of 10 times that method works for you.

So it turns on for 5 seconds; does it shut down and reboot, shutdown, or continue to run with a black screen until you decide to turn it off?
l
I said turning it on worked 2 out of 10 times.

All it does is turn on for 5 secs then turns itself off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
You didn't post the brand/model of the laptop... If it's one that's known to have this issue (several Compaq and HP's), then it's toast and not worth fixing.
Its a Gateway M210 laptop. Have owned it for 10 years. I bought a new motherboard for it 7 months ago from eBay. Maybe the motherboard gave up.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
I said turning it on worked 2 out of 10 times.

All it does is turn on for 5 secs then turns itself off.

Its a Gateway M210 laptop. Have owned it for 10 years. I bought a new motherboard for it 7 months ago from eBay. Maybe the motherboard gave up.
If you have a docking station or external sata cable and spare laptop/pc you could take out your hard drive and run tests to rule that out first.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Private Joker

HDD wouldn't cause that IMO.

It's most likely either RAM or mobo - and since the mobo has already gone out once, and you replaced the mobo with one off of eBay...I'd probably point to that.

Does it attempt to stay on longer if you remove the battery/run only off of AC?
Have you tried only 1 stick of RAM at a time?
Any lights blink in a specific pattern to indicate a POST issue?

Old 01-27-2015, 10:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
True Techie

I agree with Carnage on this one. It seems mobo related. BUT, I'm hoping it's just RAM lol

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.4 GHz | Cooling: Just Fans | Motherboard: BioStar Tz68K+ | RAM: Cosair Vengeance16GB (4X4GB) DDR3 @ 1600MHz | Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 560 TI | HDD: 1 TB Western Digital (want SSD for OS) | Sound: On-Board sound | PSU: CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W | Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Scout SGC-2100-KWN3 | OS's: Window 7 Professional x64, Kali Linux 1.0.9 | Display: Dell 24-inch HD, Samsung 24-inch HD
SubliminalX7 is offline   Reply With Quote