Laptop+Big monitor compatibility.. HELP! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-10-2010, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 16
Default Laptop+Big monitor compatibility.. HELP!

So, I was originally going to spend around 1800 for a huge PC. I soon realized I will need money for food, gas etc when I move for school. I have now made a very depressing decision. I'm buying a laptop and dropping my dreams of a mean rig.

Here is my dilemma:

Will this laptop work with my monitor?

When I'm at home, I will always hook it up with my beautiful monitor but I want to know if it will be compatible. In other words, would a 720p laptop res be compatible with my 1020p monitor? I really don't know what I'm even talking about. Here are the specs of both and I'll let you smarties help me out.

=========
--Laptop: Customer Reviews Of lenovo IdeaPad Y560(0646-2EU) NoteBook Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD±R/RW ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730

--Monitor: Amazon.com: Samsung P2770H 27-Inch Widescreen Touch of Color LCD Monitor - Rose…
=========

Do they have different resolutions? Does this matter? Will this laptop look weird if I hook it up to my monitor?

Right now I'm using my momís laptop (because my computer blew up on me) and it works perfectly. Her laptop gives me an option of a 1920x1080p resolution which works great. But, will this laptop I've chosen give me that option?

TO THE POINT::::
So in short, what do I need to be looking for to have a laptop that will work with my monitorís full potential?
__________________

NPRamirez is offline  
Old 08-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
I don't overclock
 
Fat.Clown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: offline
Posts: 3,326
Default Re: Laptop+Big monitor compatibility.. HELP!

ATI Mobility Radeon
HD 5730 GPU Specifications
Integrated HDMI 1.3 output with Deep Color, xvYCC wide gamut support, and high bit-rate audio Max resolution: 1920x1200

the P2770H does it in 1920 x 1080 full HD resolution

1920x1200 > 1920x1080 so most likely it will work fine.
__________________

Fat.Clown is offline  
Old 08-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 16
Default Re: Laptop+Big monitor compatibility.. HELP!

Oh, sweet! So it's all in the GPU?

(Thanks for the speedy reply, Fat.Clown!)
NPRamirez is offline  
Old 08-10-2010, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
 
patonb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In Gov't Regulated Cubical
Posts: 9,745
Default Re: Laptop+Big monitor compatibility.. HELP!

Yha, even a crappy intel gma will easily pump out to a 1080 screen.

Fortunately, its common now, so yha as clown said...... its all good... You'll even be able to game decently.
__________________
Foldie = i5 6600kMSI Z170A M5 EVGA 970 SC Corsair H100 Corsair hx520 2x8gb GSkill Corsair 650D
Woohoo = L5639 @3.1Ghz EVGA SR-2 gtx 260-216 Hyper 212+ Corsair 1050hx 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 Blackhawk Ulra
Alienware 18 - SLI 770M 4700mq 16Gig

patonb is offline  
Old 08-13-2010, 12:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: By the ocean
Posts: 137
Default Re: Laptop+Big monitor compatibility.. HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPRamirez View Post
So, I was originally going to spend around 1800 for a huge PC. I soon realized I will need money for food, gas etc when I move for school. I have now made a very depressing decision. I'm buying a laptop and dropping my dreams of a mean rig.

Here is my dilemma:

Will this laptop work with my monitor?

When I'm at home, I will always hook it up with my beautiful monitor but I want to know if it will be compatible. In other words, would a 720p laptop res be compatible with my 1020p monitor? I really don't know what I'm even talking about. Here are the specs of both and I'll let you smarties help me out.

=========
--Laptop: Customer Reviews Of lenovo IdeaPad Y560(0646-2EU) NoteBook Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD±R/RW ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730

--Monitor: Amazon.com: Samsung P2770H 27-Inch Widescreen Touch of Color LCD Monitor - Rose…
=========

Do they have different resolutions? Does this matter? Will this laptop look weird if I hook it up to my monitor?

Right now I'm using my mom’s laptop (because my computer blew up on me) and it works perfectly. Her laptop gives me an option of a 1920x1080p resolution which works great. But, will this laptop I've chosen give me that option?

TO THE POINT::::
So in short, what do I need to be looking for to have a laptop that will work with my monitor’s full potential?
There is no reason why it shouldn't be compatible.

Also, if you really want a mean set-up, get two more screens. large screen in middle, and two medium sized screens to the sides. You can have a video game in one screen. Internet etc/ stuff going on in another, and in the last screen, you can have your school work.

No joke.

As a matter of fact, majority of computer screens, even the highest top of the line HD screens out right now, don't go above 1920X1080 resolution. Not in a students budget anyway.

And hey, look into a killer soundcard too. and set yourself up with some suroundsound ontop of your multi-screens. (i'd recommend it) You may be a student who's poor, but you wont feel like it.
ET/IT is offline  
Old 08-13-2010, 01:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 2,363
Default Re: Laptop+Big monitor compatibility.. HELP!

I'm not sure if the laptop versions can handle 3 monitors, but if it's a 5xxx Radeon HD series and can run 3 screens it should be capable of Eyefinity. This is ATi's multi-display gaming technology that maps 3 monitors into one for a super wide gaming experience. More suited to desktops though, not sure how the laptop cards would handle it. If you only need them for multitasking I'd just go with 2 monitors, and if it's a laptop you can usually get by with using the laptop's panel as the second monitor for a nice dual monitor setup just by plugging in an external monitor.
__________________

CalcProgrammer1 is offline  
Old 08-13-2010, 01:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: By the ocean
Posts: 137
Default Re: Laptop+Big monitor compatibility.. HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalcProgrammer1 View Post
I'm not sure if the laptop versions can handle 3 monitors, but if it's a 5xxx Radeon HD series and can run 3 screens it should be capable of Eyefinity. This is ATi's multi-display gaming technology that maps 3 monitors into one for a super wide gaming experience. More suited to desktops though, not sure how the laptop cards would handle it. If you only need them for multitasking I'd just go with 2 monitors, and if it's a laptop you can usually get by with using the laptop's panel as the second monitor for a nice dual monitor setup just by plugging in an external monitor.
Absolutely correct. But that's why you bypass the laptops video card, and use the "skeleton desktop" to perform the video feeds.

It's a little tricky, but I've seen set ups where the video card in the laptop was removed all together, (stored safely away) and then a skeleton desktop served as the provider for the video feeds. All info went straight from the laptop into the desktop, and then the upgraded components of the desktop sent the feed back into the laptop screen.

Essentially making the laptop operate as the main keyboard, screen, and mouse, and still have two other screens, one on either side.

But you are correct.

But what it truly comes down too is affordability.
ET/IT is offline  
Old 08-13-2010, 01:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 2,363
Default Re: Laptop+Big monitor compatibility.. HELP!

What do you mean by "skeleton desktop"? Also what do you mean by removing the laptop's video card? Are you referring to an actual desktop PC or a laptop docking station? One option is to use a desktop with monitors and then connect it to the laptop via network to display the laptop's output but this setup will not work very well for gaming due to limited bandwidth and poor 3D support in remote desktop viewing protocols. A docking station is more practical as it will usually have 1 or 2 (if not more) display outputs that can connect monitors.

As for removing the laptop's video card, this is usually impossible. The video "card" is just a GPU chip soldered directly onto the laptop motherboard, it isn't removable like in desktops. Very few laptops have removable video cards (these are usually high end gaming machines like Alienware and such). The chip could be disabled or the internal monitor could be disabled making the remotely connected displays primary though.
__________________

CalcProgrammer1 is offline  
Old 08-15-2010, 06:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: By the ocean
Posts: 137
Default Re: Laptop+Big monitor compatibility.. HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalcProgrammer1 View Post
What do you mean by "skeleton desktop"? Also what do you mean by removing the laptop's video card? Are you referring to an actual desktop PC or a laptop docking station? One option is to use a desktop with monitors and then connect it to the laptop via network to display the laptop's output but this setup will not work very well for gaming due to limited bandwidth and poor 3D support in remote desktop viewing protocols. A docking station is more practical as it will usually have 1 or 2 (if not more) display outputs that can connect monitors.

As for removing the laptop's video card, this is usually impossible. The video "card" is just a GPU chip soldered directly onto the laptop motherboard, it isn't removable like in desktops. Very few laptops have removable video cards (these are usually high end gaming machines like Alienware and such). The chip could be disabled or the internal monitor could be disabled making the remotely connected displays primary though.
That was more towards what I was refering too, disabling the chip, but keeping it towards more of a docking station set up. Sorry, just in my area, we usually refer to docking stations as "skeleton desktops" because there are only specific uses for them.
__________________

ET/IT is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
video card and monitor compatibility? llDaNll System Upgrades 8 05-30-2006 08:58 PM
laptop ram compatibility andy345 System Upgrades 1 04-28-2006 06:55 PM
64 bit monitor compatibility dRgreen New Systems | Building and Buying 9 01-24-2006 12:41 AM
Graphics card and monitor compatibility Chris_PC Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 2 12-11-2005 04:21 PM
Mac monitor compatibility with PC? dannysab Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 3 04-11-2004 12:45 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.