Laptop Battery Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashedpumpkins

In Runtime
My default battery with HP was a 6 cell battery. It pretty much died and my laptop was only lasting a few minutes before turning off. I purchased a 12 cell battery and received it yesterday. I have a HP DV5-1000 laptop. More specs are in my signature.
Amazon.com: Replacement Laptop Battery for HP Pavilion DV5T-1000 CTO, 10400mAh 12-Cell:…

Yesterday, I plugged the battery in and it worked like a charm. I charged it to full, unplugged the AC adapter and used it down to about 40%. Over the night I left the AC adapter plugged in. I woke up this morning to my laptop refusing to turn on. After plugging in the AC adapter it booted up fine. Every 30 seconds to a minute the battery status will change to either "No battery is detected" or "Full Charged (100%)". The whole time the AC adapter is plugged in. I checked the battery yesterday with HPs battery check and it said it was full and all cells worked. The battery is in place correctly.

Is this a defected battery? I've tried a few various methods online, but nothing really relates to my issue. Any advice? Thanks

Randy

Hi,

Just to clarify, despite leaving your laptop on charge all night, it won't power on with just the battery plugged in?

Sounds like the battery is faulty. You could try charging the battery again for a prolonged period to see it can power your laptop, but failing this, I'd return it to Amazon.

Did you try taking the battery out for a few minutes and put back in, and try to start it up? I got a battery for my Dell from eBay, with a 1 year warranty.

Hi,

Just to clarify, despite leaving your laptop on charge all night, it won't power on with just the battery plugged in?

Sounds like the battery is faulty. You could try charging the battery again for a prolonged period to see it can power your laptop, but failing this, I'd return it to Amazon.
Correct, it won't power on unless I have it plugged in. However, I learned something new. Regardless of what the status says, I can unplug the AC adapter and it'll run just fine. Even when it says "Battery not detected" it'll still take power from the battery. So it seems the main issue is, I can't boot up without the AC adapter. I'm on Windows 7 64bit. Strange...

Did you try taking the battery out for a few minutes and put back in, and try to start it up? I got a battery for my Dell from eBay, with a 1 year warranty.
Yep, I tried shutting down, removing battery, booting up, and then shutting down again. Readded the battery, but I still have the issue. I've removed the battery and placed in the old battery which does not have the detection issue.

EDIT: Well it booted up without the AC Adapter. It seems like it had to warm up or something... What kind of defect causes something like this?

Randy

And of course the battery check now says "One or more of the cells in the battery are not functioning properly." I've emailed PC Micro Store and I'm going to request a replacement. What a pain.

EDIT: On a positive note! PC Micro Store is sending me a new one along with a return label for the old battery. Companies that allow me to receive the new battery before sending the old battery back are A+ in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom