Laptop batter help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 06:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Laptop battery help

Hi guys im new to laptops, i got a cheap IBM thinkpad R31 just for net browsing,msn etc and also it has wireless so i can finally make use of my router BUT the battery only lasts for 30-40 mins, so i guess it needs a new battery?

Does anyone know what battery i need without me having to take the laptop apart? im from uk so uk website links would be great

Thanks in advance

Old 09-21-2008, 12:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar
Default Re: Laptop battery help

The batter pops out. There should be a long lever at the bottom of the laptop that allows you to just pop out the battery - then you can see the actual name of the battery. You can either go through IMB's website and get a certified battery for 30% overage cost, or purchase it from a random website and pay around $60 (from what i've seen for your battery).

Just make sure the battery you purchase is FOR your model of laptop. You cannot use a battery that isn't made for your laptop - otherwise you may ruin the laptop or have the battery malfunction and melt corrosive acid on ya

IBM Thinkpad R31 Battery - IBM Thinkpad R31 Laptop Battery

Old 09-21-2008, 02:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Laptop battery help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexluethar View Post
Just make sure the battery you purchase is FOR your model of laptop. You cannot use a battery that isn't made for your laptop - otherwise you may ruin the laptop or have the battery malfunction and melt corrosive acid on ya
JUST Acid? We're talking Lithium Ion here, those things EXPLODE when you use the wrong one :P

Remember the Dell incident?

However, IBM doesn't make ThinkPads anymore. If your ThinkPad is a Lenovo ThinkPad (with IBM branding, but made by Lenovo) then Lenovo should still offer batteries. If yours was a pre-Lenovo ThinkPad, your only option is to buy a 3rd party battery. You can probably find official ones on eBay, but they'll be old, and old batteries don't function well, so I'd advise you not to buy those (unless yours is a newer model, of course). I bought a no-brand battery for like $50 with more mAh than the original for my A21p and it works pretty well.

Closed Thread