Laptop for AutoCAD 2013 Suggestions?

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
Howdy, so I'm not up on my laptop stuff but my uncle who owns a small construction company is looking to set up his architect with a designated work laptop. It's primarily for autoCAD 2013. He's looking at the HP 8770 which his supplier is quoting him at $2600.

Do you guys have any recommendations at a better price/function?

Wow! :eek: $2600 would be highway robbery for a laptop with such inferior specs. If the laptop was a "ruggedized" laptop, that price would be almost within the realm of reason.
That laptop has Nvidia Quadro graphics on it. While that chipset is supposed to be "optimized" for industrial use, it's simply just expensive crap. I have a 10 year old Intel P4 desktop with better performing graphics than a 5 year old Dell Latitude I have with Nvidia Quadro graphics.
You shouldn't ever be fooled into paying $2600 for a computer unless it's got ground-breakingly overkill specs. That HP 8770 is not anywhere close to being a $2600 laptop. I have a $1400 laptop that's better than that.

I haven't ever used AutoCad but I've used 3dsmax which is a 3d editing program and made by the same company. I can run 3dsmax perfectly on my outdated Pentium D pc with 4gb ram and a dated Radeon HD 5700 1gb card.

I would get a gaming laptop or something like that. Those don't ever cost as much as that HP laptop unless you buy the best Alienware laptop available and even then it's overkill and there are much cheaper options with really good performance.
MSI and Alienware make good gaming laptops. I would get an Alienware M14X or an MSI laptop in the $1000-$1500 range. Make sure it's got a lot of ram (more than 6gb should be more than plenty), an i7 cpu and a gpu other than some kind of Intel integrated graphics.

So the bottom line, that laptop is bad unless he's getting it for free or for a highly discounted price. It will run AutoCad as good as all medium priced laptops but you can buy way better laptops for half the price.

However, if your uncle really wants to spend $2600 on a laptop to get the best performance possible, I don't know what laptop you'd need but that HP isn't worth $2600. Someone else will suggest something better.

Last edited:
Thanks, I agree. My only concern is that I've heard gaming laptops aren't great for autocad, same with graphics cards. Hence why I'm hoping someone can drop me a good recommendation.

Thanks!

Yes, nVidia Quadro and ATI FirePro cards are better for things like AutoCAD and such because they're workstation cards.

I haven't ever used Auto Cad but I'm sure there are much bigger, badder and more hardware demanding programs than Auto Cad. My gaming computers have no problem with advanced non-gaming applications like 3dsmax.

I used to have a laptop with Nvidia Quadro graphics and it sucked. It ran 3dsmax slightly better than other computers with worse video cards but I didn't see what was so special about it as far as performance went. It just cost a lot.

If you game with a Quadro card then yea it's gonna suck. Thing is, gaming cards can't compare to the floating point precision that workstation cards can produce for programs like Autocad, Maya, ect.

What exact specs will the laptop have?

If you game with a Quadro card then yea it's gonna suck. Thing is, gaming cards can't compare to the floating point precision that workstation cards can produce for programs like Autocad, Maya, ect.

What exact specs will the laptop have?

This. Couldn't think of the phrasing to use.

I haven't ever used Auto Cad but I'm sure there are much bigger, badder and more hardware demanding programs than Auto Cad. My gaming computers have no problem with advanced non-gaming applications like 3dsmax.

I used to have a laptop with Nvidia Quadro graphics and it sucked. It ran 3dsmax slightly better than other computers with worse video cards but I didn't see what was so special about it as far as performance went. It just cost a lot.

Refer to PP's post. It's better because it has better calculations. Quadro cards aren't used to game: they're used for high-precision calculations that are required to be performed quickly (reducing render times). AutoCAD is made to run on Quadro and FirePro cards pretty much. It's not like it's Crysis or anything that requires textures to be loaded and particle physics: it's rendering of meshes and calculations that need to be done.

Back
Top Bottom