Fully Optimized
He is looking at a Dell studios XPS 16 for $1250 with the following:

core 2 duo T9550
Vista x64 home premium
4GB DDR3
500GB HDD
16" 720p res
Radeon M86XT (512MB)

I have no idea about that graphics card. It isn't even on here: Notebookcheck: Comparison of Graphic Cards

Tomorrow I'm going to search around for something better in the same price range, but if anyone could make any recommendations in the meantime or suggest he stay with this (doubtful), that would be great.

Current possibilities:
Newegg.com - MSI GT627-218US NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo P8600(2.40GHz) 15.4" Wide SXGA+ 4GB Memory 320GB HDD 7200rpm BD Combo NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GS - Laptops / Notebooks
Newegg.com - MSI GT725-074US NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo P8600(2.40GHz) 17.0" Wide SXGA+ 4GB Memory 320GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4850 - Laptops / Notebooks
Newegg.com - ASUS G Series G50VT-X6 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo P8700(2.53GHz) 15.4" Wide SXGA+ 4GB Memory 320GB HDD 7200rpm DVD
Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GS - Laptops / Notebooks

Newegg.com - MSI GT627-216US NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo P8400(2.26GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 4GB Memory 320GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GS - Laptops / Notebooks

I'm gonna look for more. Consider the price when making your recommendation.

Suggestions can't be given like that. You have to provide information on what the laptop is going to be used for. Is he looking for a desktop replacement, or a mobile solution? Light school/office work, gaming, photo rendoring, audio/video encoding, what will it be used for? What is his budget?

What is your friend looking for? Is there a particular thing he is looking for, say a certain screen size for example, or perhaps a blu ray player? Forget about system memory, and hard drive space, as you shouldn't let those parameters weigh heavily upon the selection in my opinion, reason being, I found a majority of them to come with between 250-500 Gigs of drive space, which is FAR more than enough, unless you are looking for a desktop replacement. In that case, get an external drive, or additional internal drives if the laptop has open bays. For RAM, The Egg lists a whopping 4 laptops with less than 2 Gigs of RAM, which is plenty. I would even go as far to say that

It's going to be his only computer for college, so yeah, I guess it is a desktop replacement. I think he wants to play games, that is why I listed the ones I did. I just assumed people would know what kind of thing I'm looking for based off the laptops I listed. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom